Toilet smells after rain during summertime

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After a heavy rain during the summertime, I have a basement toilet that emits a strong sewage smell. I've tried everything I know and can't figure it out. Here are details:

1. Basement bath has it's own small septic tank separate from rest of house (upstairs).
2. Smell only happens after a heavy rain and only during the summertime
3. I've changed the wax ring
4. I've checked the vent pipe for any obstruction
5. I've pumped the septic tank and had it inspected
6. Smell comes from inside the bowl...if I cover the bowl with Saran Wrap=no smell

Any suggestions?

Yes, the water level is high enough in the bowl. The toilet is used every day, so drying out is not a possibility. The strange thing is it's just when it rains during the Summer. I'm in Atlanta, so Summer rain comes with very high and heavy humidity. Could this be a factor?

You have a vent leak in your wall or ceiling
the give away is the rain and high humidity,

, usually, the smell goes up the pipe and away with a breeze, but the heavy humidity air is stopping it from leaving
and the smell has found a crack or break in your line

You need to do a peppermint test to find out if it is in the wall or eiling
possibly follow up with a smoke test to visually see it after you have found the general area

3d18270e70c8bd3c8bfd7adbeb70ce8eb3ad7ff00bc9c49fc3b115c5fdefd0d4.jpg

WOW! First logical explanation that I've heard on this. I'll use my new endoscope inspection camera to check out the vent pipe.
Thank You!

If you find a leak in the wall someplace then the smell probably isn't coming out of the bowl like you thought.

Latest posts

Back