Toilet slowly draining, sink causes level to rise

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emeryj23

Reaction score
I installed the toilet in my bathroom on Wednesday and have had no problems at all, but last night on Thursday the toilet wouldn't flush. The water level would just rise. I tried using a plunger but that had no effect, other than hearing water near the sink move around. I left it overnight and the water level in the toilet went down to a minimum, so it is slowly draining, but not flushing. When I use the sink, the water level in the toilet rises and the water bubbles (obviously the water is going back up the pipe to the toilet or something). Do I have a clog in the pipe that is stopping 100% water flow or something? Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Embarassed to admit this, but I once replaced a toilet and left a towel in the pipe when I put on the new stool. The result of working my job for 12 hours and then trying to do a plumbers job at 10 PM. Another benefit of 1/4 turn stop valves:) Saved a big wet mess.

Back