Toilet Shutoff in need of replacement.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatyouare

Reaction score
My toilet shutoff leaks at the connection of the shutoff and the pipe coming from the wall. Looks as though there's quite a bit of corosion, a local hardware guy recommended some epoxy rather than trying to replace the valve as he thought the pipe might come apart on me when attempting to switch valves.

Well, the stuff didn't work. Still leaks. Problem is I have ceramic tile on the wall, so a torch is not an option.

I'm curious if I'd be able to cut the pipe shortly after it comes out of the wall, install a compression fitting to join another small piece of pipe that would then connect to a new valve? Have never used a compression fitting before.

Thanks!

what kind of pipe is the valve connected to? dose the valve thread onto the pipe or is it a compression connection?

I believe it's 1/2" copper pipe - the existing valve is threaded.

The pipe comes out a few inches from the wall, on the end of it is a large nut type piece - this looks to me to be the piece the valve threads into. The leak is between these two pieces.

I'm wanting to cut the pipe right before the largen nut mentioned above - stick a compression fitting on it and go about installing a valve.

gotcha, you need 1 1/4 of pipe from the wall to make this work. if you can cut off the (large nut type piece) and still have 1 1/4'' of pipe left. after cutting( hopfully with a tubing cutter) get a 1/2''x 3/8'' compression angle valve,remove the large nut and the brass ring from the new valve and apply alittle pipe dope to the seat of the valve ( where the brass ring touches the valve) then reassemble the nut and ring to the valve and do not make it tight yet. slide the valve onto the copper piping and with two wrenches tighten the bigger nut while holding back on the valve with the other wrench. knowing how tight to make it is a matter of feel. just dont transfer any twisting force to the copper piping. dont give it everything you have but put some muscle into it. open the main water valve to the house just enough to allow the pipes to fill slowly and check for leaks. if no leaks install new toilet flexi and turn on the new valve. good luck!

Thank you for the info.

Curious, if I don't have 1.25" of pipe to work with, could I stick a compression coupler on what's left of the pipe, add another piece of copper to the other end of the coupler and use that to connect the valve?

the 1.25'' is what you need for a escussion and a compression fitting. if you have less you can leave out the escussion and that will give you another 1/2''. in other words even a compression coupling will need the same amount of pipe.

Back