Toilet shifted

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaelbbb

Reaction score
Hello there. I recently noticed my toilet shift an inch or two after I used it. I see no sign of a leak or problem yet. Does this mean that the seal is damaged, and I need to get a new seal and reseat the toilet? Or should I just try to tighten the attachment to the floor a bit, and follow the motto: "Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you"?

Flange is probably broke you will need to pull toilet and confirm and fix flange

Yes, the front can wiggle an inch or two. I thought it would just be a matter of tightening the bolts, unless the seal was compromised and I needed to get, and intall, a new one.
I just removed the covers from the bolts (a technical accomplishment for me). I can now see that the bolts are a bit loose, and the wiggle is within the range of motion the toilet has without moving the bolts.

Shall I just tighten them up, or do I need to worry that the wax seal is messed up now, and I should replace it rather than risk a leak through to the ceiling of the neighbor downstairs (who just renovated)?

Last edited:
Yes, the front can wiggle an inch or two. I thought it would just be a matter of tightening the bolts, unless the seal was compromised and I needed to get, and intall, a new one.
I just removed the covers from the bolts (a technical accomplishment for me). I can now see that the bolts are a bit loose, and the wiggle is within the range of motion the toilet has without moving the bolts.

Shall I just tighten them up, or do I need to worry that the wax seal is messed up now, and I should replace it rather than risk a leak through to the ceiling of the neighbor downstairs (who just renovated)?

Once you pull a toilet, the wax seal is broken. It might not bond together properly if you just put it back. You'll need to clean off the old wax thoroughly and replace it. Then tighten the bolts until the toilet doesn't move.

Frodo suggested that grout can be put around toilets to hold them more steady (but leave the back part ungrouted so that you will see water come out behind if there are any leaks.

I tightened the bolts so the toilet no longer shifts.
At the moment I'm leaning toward leaving it as it is. If I pull the toilet and it, "It might not bond together properly if you just put it back", that leaves room for it to be bonded well now given that the toilet wasn't removed, it only shifted an inch or so a number of times. Also, I assume the toilet extends a little into the flange /hole a bit, so even with an imperfect seal water should not be leaking out. My sense is that it's probably OK now(?), and there's some leeway for me to mess it up if I pull it, unless I hear advice to the contrary I think I'll leave it as is.
Thank you all for the advice.

Leaving this alone is fine....provided you are on a slab on the ground floor. If you are on a raised flooring, and surrounded by wood, I can bet this toilet will quickly begin leaking (if not already) and will soon ruin anything under it. If on a slab on the ground floor, if there is no leaking from the base, you are good to go.

For the sake of a $3 was seal and 20 minutes of time, pull the toilet and replace the seal. It's wax, once you smear it the seal is gone. You may not notice the leak until it starts showing thru the ceiling below, then your repair is hundreds, instead of pocket change.

Right. Will do!
Thanks for the advice: thats what I needed.
(But I can guarantee that it will take me considerably more than twenty minutes).

Last edited:
A follow up question:
To remove the toilet to replace the seal, do I need to separate the 2 parts of the toilet, or can it be managed in one piece? (Probably not, but I'm trying to minimize the scope I have to screw up.)

I use a sponge to drain the excess water out of the tank. The bowl can be emptied by flushing a bucket of water quickly into the bowl. I then leave the tank and bowl connected and carefully tilt it to the side, usually resting on the side of the tub if you are lucky. With it propped up sideways at about a 45 degree angle, you can pull the old wax off and replace with a new wax ring, then tilted back into place. Easy-peasy.

Use as putty knife to remove the excess wax from the old seal on the toilet and the flange. Check the flange for cracks and brakes. When you buy a new wax seal buy new bolts as well. You will be cussing if you are putting it back down and have a problem with the old bolts. Once it is set you can run a bead of caulking around the base. Wipe clean with a damp sponge. Leave a gap at the back of the toilet so water can run out if you have a leak. Before you caulk flush repeatedly to check for leaks. The caulking is not necessary for function but make it look a lot nicer. You also want to try an make sure the toilet is level as well. I hope all this helps. Good luck.

You also want to try an make sure the toilet is level as well.

Bowl and tank are level.

2c.gif

Back