Toilet sealing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYventures

Reaction score
Hello community,

I write in hopes of some direction in installing a toilet in my home. Insofar, I’ve removed the toilet, the wax seal, and am currently left with a rusted flange that sits level to the ground. Initially, I thought of removing the rusted flange but then realized that it is attached and looks to still be able to hold the t bolts. Before moving forward, I thought I’d share my next steps to compete the job:

1) Bolt the movable, rusted flange in place — was not drilled in place when I initially removed the toilet.
2) Install a rubber seal (would also like everyone’s thoughts on this vs wax seal)
3) Install toilet and call it a day.

Also, if anyone with more experience please chime in. At first, I thought about removing the flange that attaches to the floor but figured that it was salvageable.

Also, should flange sit above or be level to the tile floor? Mine sits almost level.

Thanks in advance and look forward to learning more.

Regards

Attachments

• A8789A79-2FF3-439B-BD53-3D9231F50E92.jpeg
    A8789A79-2FF3-439B-BD53-3D9231F50E92.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
i would put a repair flange on and bolt that to sub floor. That flange is looking rough
Thanks for replying. Here’s another picture after a quick clean. Do you think this will work?

Attachments

• 64C3B52D-5CE0-4C7D-8165-3ECC4C08568F.jpeg
    64C3B52D-5CE0-4C7D-8165-3ECC4C08568F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
It looks like the existing flange has some rusted off screw heads in a couple of holes that may be an issue. And can't really tell from a photo, but the slot on the left appears to have a section rusted out. If so, a stainless-steel repair flange installed with stainless steel screws would be best. It the picture isn't representative of what it looks like in person, be sure to use stainless steel screws in all the screw holes. The flange should sit at the floor level or slightly above the floor an absolute maximum of 1/4" above finished floor elevation.

And use a standard wax ring rather than a rubber seal. And if you get a wax ring with a plastic horn, be careful when you set the toilet on the ring as the plastic horn can move and cause issues.

It looks like the existing flange has some rusted off screw heads in a couple of holes that may be an issue. And can't really tell from a photo, but the slot on the left appears to have a section rusted out. If so, a stainless-steel repair flange installed with stainless steel screws would be best. It the picture isn't representative of what it looks like in person, be sure to use stainless steel screws in all the screw holes. The flange should sit at the floor level or slightly above the floor an absolute maximum of 1/4" above finished floor elevation.

And use a standard wax ring rather than a rubber seal. And if you get a wax ring with a plastic horn, be careful when you set the toilet on the ring as the plastic horn can move and cause issues.
Thanks.

The left slot has peeling paint casting a shadow and making it look like it has rusted out. (I went back and double checked after reading your comment.)

Also, it looks like the flange was not screwed into the floor…there are simply no holes or remnants of any screws.

As for screws, I have a pack of tapon concrete anchors—will this be appropriate or should I go pick up a different set.

Finally, I will probably go with wax. At first, I was thinking of the better-than-wax seal but looks like there’s a reason why wax continues to be used.

Thanks.

The left slot has peeling paint casting a shadow and making it look like it has rusted out. (I went back and double checked after reading your comment.)

Also, it looks like the flange was not screwed into the floor…there are simply no holes or remnants of any screws.

As for screws, I have a pack of tapon concrete anchors—will this be appropriate or should I go pick up a different set.

Finally, I will probably go with wax. At first, I was thinking of the better-than-wax seal but looks like there’s a reason why wax continues to be used.
That's kinda what I thought, a shadow. And the debris in the holes looked a bit like a rusted screw head in the picture. And as you've confirmed those two concerns aren't a concern, I think you will be OK as is. And as you are going into concrete, those Tapcons should be fine.

I would try to clean the flange with some type of solvent like paint thinner or acetone, and wire brush the top as best I could. Then paint it with some rust encapsulating paint or at least some rust inhibitive paint. You might also squirt some silicone caulk into the Tapcon pilot holes and cover the Tapcon heads with a dab of caulk. Keep it just on the screw heads so it doesn't interfere with the wax ring sealing. Squirting some caulk in the toilet bolt slots before and just after inserting the toilet bolts to fill that void might also be advisable.

Latest posts

Back