Toilet seal replacement turns into

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inq

Reaction score
Hi everyone
My toilet clogs a lot so naturally I plunge it. Today it decided to start leaking during the plunge. I assumed it was the wax deal so I ran out and got a new one. Once I took things apart it felt like a different story. The seal is all flat not even sure how to remove it. The bolts came off the plastic thing underneath and I think the tile below has cracked to make a bigge hole. Any thoughts?
I will post some pictures from my computer in a few minutes.
UC2pWoJ

gcCXSz5

Thank you.

Last edited:
Let's see some pictures! It's really not a big deal even if you gotta replace the flange. I'll walk ya through it.

Let's see some pictures! It's really not a big deal even if yjust posted.ou gotta replace the flange. I'll walk ya through it.
Thanks!
Just posted them.
Notice the hole under right side in photo #2 and cracked tiles. i had used plastic spacers to balance since it was rocking.

Last edited:
Get a scraper and scrape all that wax off there and throw it away, then take a picture for me.

dd8dfa20a51d3b435fa32ddaf0357b07.jpg
You got a couple options from what I see. You can buy a repair ring, it's just a metal ring you screw down over the existing flange, they will work for a while. But the real fix is to replace the flange.

Last edited:
Thanks spcwaters!

I will do the wax clearing tomorrow and post a picture.
I would like to do this right! I get a lot of clogs (my sons washroom trip always ends up like this) so I think a replacement of flange is better.

I think I used the metal once for my brother in laws place, we were replacing the seat and the plastic was broken so we put something on top of it to get the nuts in place. Is that what you are talking about?

It feels like the wax got compressed which means the toilet was putting more pressure on the seal so maybe there is something else that needs to be done?

How will this existing flange come off? i had a flat screw driver under it and it felt that the tile will break if I put too much pressure.

That sucker is glued onto the pipe, it has to be cut off, with an inside cutting wheel. The wax being flat is
Normal that's what makes your seal, it's a good thing. That has nothing to do with the clogging problem. The problem is your little grooves where the t bolts go are broken, so you won't be able to sit a w/c until you put a repair flange or a replacement down.

Hi,
So I cant just do this?
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnXezZt6OMk[/ame]

Whats an inside cutting wheel?

ING, clean the goo off the flange, post a picture so we can see what is wrong.

all i see right now is a bunch of wax piled up on a flange.

put some gloves on and get that junk off

looks like maybe a kant leak was used, that could be the whole problem

wont know till cleaned up

Last edited:
Hi guys
Had guests yesterday so could not do much. And my internet is down :(

I live in Toronto.

Here is after cleaning wax
nOwG5Je.jpg

I went to Home Depot they told me to get the brass ring and screws. Looks like my flange is screwed in and possibly not glued. So flange could be replaced "easily". Awaiting your suggestions.

Thank you.

It's glued. If you have that metal ring. Just line it up with the broken grooves and put tapcon tile/concrete screws in every hole ya got. You'll prolly have to drill pilot holes.

Thanks
This is what I got from Home Depot
rFVmQ.jpg

What about the 2 bolts/screws already there? One of them is halfway up and I tried to remove or tighten it seems it's just free. It's the one at the bottom of the picture.

Last edited:
Attached photo

I've never used that particular kind. But they are one in the same, now this is a "band aid" in my opinion. As I said before, a plumber replacing the flange is your best bet.

But those old screws, just take them out, break them, just get them outta there.
Sit your brass ring on the top of the existing flange, line up the t bolt grooves with the existing.
Get a pilot bit and drill pilot holes where you need them
Then take those new screws and screw them trough the existing flange into the wood below
T/bolts, wax ring, and sit that sucker.

How long are those screws?

Also, the reason I suggested the Souix chief version is
It sits over the existing flange, and won't raise the flange any.
The one you have is pretty thick, and it's not a "repair flange"

Last edited:
The ones that I bought are 1 1/4
The existing ones I don't know
I am on the bottom floor so it's just concrete under me

I will call a plumber and ask what they charge for changing the flange.

Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Back