Toilet requires 2 flushes or 1 long hold...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunters

Reaction score
Hi all, I got some very good advice in the past here, so I thought I'd try again.

One of my toilets is having a problem when flushing it. It either requires you to press the lever twice in a row to flush or hold it down for about 4 seconds to actually flush the toilet. If you just press it normally, it sounds as if it is going to flush, but never goes through with it. I've included a picture if it may help. Thanks a lot gang.

Scott

toilet.jpg

Welcome to the world of water conservation/low flow toilets! I just dealt with a similar situation and by replacing the flush rod assembly, the flapper and a tight adjustment on the chain to the flapper, it somewhat corrected the problem. It also helps to adjust your water level inside the tank to within 1/4" of the top.

Good luck.

Thanks havasu! Could you tell me how to adjust the water level up?

It's hard to tell from your picture, but you just might be able to raise it a bit higher without the water overflowing into the tube. To adjust the water level, you pinch the spring on the vertical rod which will raise or lower the black float.

Well, the water is already as high as it can be up to a line on that white tube. It seems that the flapper and chain are tight, but the problem seems to me at least to be that the blue thing on the bottom of the tank doesn't stay open (up) long enough with a regular pull of the handle to create the "flush". If I hold the handle down long enough or pull it twice in a row quickly, the blue thing stays up long enough for a full flush of the toilet. What do you think is preventing the blue thing from not staying up long enough?

Thanks!

toilet 2.jpg

toilet 3.jpg

The toilet I repaired was exactly as yours is. I replaced the flapper with a new one which allows more air under it, and I added a cantilevered flush rod, which cost about $12, and allows the chain to be pulled up higher than the stationary rod. This was what really solved my problem.

Thanks again Havasu. Here's a stupid question, (remember, I know nothing about plumbing), how do I get the water out of the tank to replace this? Thanks

Turn off the valve connecting the toilet to the wall, which will stop the water flow. Then you can just flush and it will not refill on you.

Thanks again. The flapper (in my case) is the blue thing on the bottom of the tank right? Are they universal or should I bring it into my local hardware store to match it up?

Most are pretty universal but some Koehler toilets demand their own which is dumb IMHO!

Well, after emptying the tank and examining the flapper, it seems that it is a tight fit and that it is in good condition. It just isn't staying up long enough for the full flush. There are two disc like things on the chain connecting the lever to the flapper. I'm not sure of their purpose, but you can see them in the pictures above. I tried shortening the chain a little bit (by two "balls") and that didn't change anything......Thoughts???

Thanks

Thanks John. Are you pretty confident that it is the flapper that is still giving me the problems? It looks like it's in perfect condition. I do have a Kohler toilet, however I'm not sure which one.

thank you

Hunter, I can't see the marking behind the seat on the bowl, but does it say Kohler 1.6 per flush. If not it's the old style before 1.6 was required. If it is the old style then remove the foam on the flapper you have in there. If it is 1.6 then the adjustable flapper in my link is the one you need.

John

Thanks John, are you pretty confident it's the flapper causing this problem? Again, it seems to be in good shape.

Thank you John and havasu! I bought the adjustable flapper John recommended and replaced mine. That fixed the problem. Thanks again guys!

There is a product out there from Oatey. Its a powder that you put in the toilet and turns the water to a gel that can then be scooped up, if you wanted to go that route.

Liquilock

When you replace the lever inside the toilet remember that the tank must be empty and the valve below the toilet must be closed. This is a manufacture's recommended install of the lever.

Back