Toilet Leak?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noob001

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have a question I was hoping someone can help me with. Can a toilet leak from the bottom even though the water is shut off and is not being flushed?

I first noticed water around my toilet a couple of weeks ago. I replaced the wax seal with a waxless one. I know people aren't a fan of the waxless, but I'm planning to remodel in the near future and didn't want to deal with the mess right now. The toilet went about a week without any new leaking. I went out of town the previous weekend and came home to find water around the toilet and the carpet in the adjacent room soaking wet. I shut off the water, but didn't completely drain out the toilet. I haven't flushed the toilet since, but I woke up the next morning to find a little puddle on the ground.

Is it possible that water is still leaking from the toilet or is the water coming from somewhere else? I live in a condo and a possibility might be that it's coming through the wall from one of my neighbors or a leaking pipe. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
The toilet should not leak from the wax ring unless it has been flushed or there is a sewer backup. Any water leak at all on a toilet will end up around the base of the bowl, I would check supply valve, water supply line, tank to bowl bolts. Could definatly be a leaking pipe, try to determine if the water is coming from the wall Good luck!.

Last edited:
The toilet should not leak from the wax ring unless it has been flushed or there is a sewer backup. Any water leak at all on a toilet will end up around the base of the bowl, I would check supply valve, water supply line, tank to bowl bolts. Could definatly be a leaking pipe, try to determine if the water is coming from the wall Good luck!.

Thanks! I'll look into it.

Back