Toilet leak help!!!!!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanky

Reaction score
Looking for some advice please . Leaky toilet at base. On my third wax ring now. Still leaking . I've attached picture after I removed the toilet again. If the flange or seal was faulty I'd have expected to see more water .Any suggestions? Crack in toilet possibly? Thank you20180825_200657.jpg

Is it actually seating with the wax? I like to use jumbo wax with horns. Not just a plain wax. Sometimes you have to use 2, depending on the floor and where the flange sits. If the flange was cracked you would see it. If it's leaking when its NOT flushed, then you have a crack in the bowl.

Also, max sure you clean all the wax from under the stool. Helps it get a better deal to the new wax

Thanks for the reply. It's leaking when I flush. I previously used a regular wax ring. This time I tried a Danco perfect seal. I'm pretty certain I managed to get it all centred right on the drain . For what it's worth I had to repair the flange which was cracked . The new flange sits just above floor level.

I see that, regular wax should do the trick. Those plastic flanges aren't much to replace, just for future reference.

Look at the picture guys! The water is just at the base, not inside. My best guess is the tank to bowl gasket if it just leaks when flushed. BTW I have used the "poly" rings (as shown) and have been very happy with the results.
Put it back together and lay down a couple paper towels. Check in a few hours and see what is wet. In the picture I can see no water at the flange.

What is that rusty pipe at the top of the picture? If that is to your supply line, I'd replace it.

Does the flange sit flush with floor? And the flanges should be secure to floor also if the tank to bowl bolts leak it can make it seem like toilet is leaking from the base

His problem is it is leaking at the base and not through to the bowl. Fasten down the closet flange and put a good jumbo wax
seal with horn like mentioned and set the toilet over it dead center. If it still leaks and there is nothing running down from the
tank area then start checking the bottom of the bowl at the trap area for a pin hole or a hair line crack.

If it's not your tank to bowl gasket leaking when you flush it then I have had problems with leaking if the flange is too high. ( I can't really tell in the picture how high the flange is above the tile) but to fix the problem In that situation I use a wax ring with no horn and it will let it squish down good. I prefer the wax ring with the horn every other time but it seems to get in the way if there is very little space between toilet and flange.

Does the flange sit flush with floor? And the flanges should be secure to floor also if the tank to bowl bolts leak it can make it seem like toilet is leaking from the base
If it's not your tank to bowl gasket leaking when you flush it then I have had problems with leaking if the flange is too high. ( I can't really tell in the picture how high the flange is above the tile) but to fix the problem In that situation I use a wax ring with no horn and it will let it squish down good. I prefer the wax ring with the horn every other time but it seems to get in the way if there is very little space between toilet and flange.
"The new flange sits just above floor level."

Back