Toilet keeps running. NEED HELP!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowlevelowls

Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

This is my first post and I am a new home owner. So hopefully I can give you all what you need to possibly get some help.

I have a toilet that uses the Fluidmaster 400. A few months ago I was having a problem with it. The toilet tank would not refill. I researched online and found that I needed to replace the seal that is under the cap of the Fluidmaster. I replaced the seal and it worked fine now for 3 months.

Now a new issue came up. My toilet just keeps running after it is flushed. When looking at it, it seems that the Float is not raising up when the water in the tank is being filled. The water just keeps rising.

This is what I tried so far....I saw online that I should try to take the seal underneath the cap again and clean in out. I did that and nothing improved. I also tried adjusting the water level adjustment clip and that did not help either. So now I am stuck.

Any help would be awesome! Thank you, John

The Fluidmaster 400 is a universal application, but with some high end toilets, they will not work properly. When you lift the lid on the tank, what exactly is hanging up? Is the chain adjusted improperly, snagging the flapper? Is the flapper hanging up because of improper alignment because of the ears on the tube? The more information you can provide, the better we could help you.

Thank you for the reply...I did check the flapper and it is closing down correctly. the chain and all seems properly adjusted. The only thing I notice is that the "float" part does not rise when the water tank is being refilled after it is flushed. Whenver I lift the arm it stops and is normal.

Ok, I got ya. The major drawback to the Fluidmaster 400 is that if you have poor water quality, or the toilet is seldom used, the calcium will tend to stick to the vertical rod that the float slides up and down on. You can try a small amount of lubricant on it, which will give you a few months of good service, but when this occurred to me at my vacation home, I just bought a new replacement for about $7.00 and threw out the old one.

I agree . Just put a new one in.
Rember to use the clip on the refill tube and don't stick the tube down into the over flow.

Latest posts

Back