Toilet keeps backing up. Over a year now.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cav

Reaction score
Yes, over a year. A little over a year ago I had the toilet back up. Used a plunger and a few quick plunges and it was all cleared. A few days later the same thing. I used a toilet auger and nothing happened. Used a plunger and a few plunges and it was all clear. A week or 2 went by and the same thing happened. In a 2 month period this happened about 5 -6 times. Went and bought a new toilet to get rid of the problem. Put in in and a few weeks later the same thing. In the last year this has happened about 25 times. The toilet is located on the ground level. No basement and it is near the stack pipe I think it's called. We checked the roofpipe and the inside of the pipe for a birds nest and there is none. In the last week it has happened 3 times. I believe the downstairs shower and the toilet are hooked together as sometimes you can hear a gurgling in the shower when the toilet is going to clog. We have lived here for 25 years. 24 years and no problem. This is driving me crazy. Anyone got any ideas? I have poured draino, etc down the shower in hopes that maybe there was a clog.

Quit plunging and get snaking/jetting. You can push water farther down the line with a plunger than a toilet auger can reach.

Sounds like you do need to look into a professional drain cleaning company, if it was fine for so long then it could be a blockage or there may be reason to look into a plumber to check the pipework. If that doesn't work have you thought about adding a macerator to the toilet - This may help even though you haven't need one before, they do emit noise but they will decrease the chances of blockages.

Are you on septic or city sewer? If your on city sewer you have a particle stoppage in the main line. If your on septic it may need pumping. In either case your first step should be to have the main line snaked.

John

Latest posts

Back