Toilet is killing me

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bozonoz

Reaction score
i've had a small leak somewhere in my toilet for quite a while....i've replaced the flapper about five times and still get the "toilet filling up" noise every couple of hours. tired of investing my retirement in flappers, this past week end i bought a kit and replaced everything in the tank....everything. i also replaced the seal between the tank and the bowl. true to form....about every four hours or so, i get the infamous "filling" sound again. driving me out of my mind.
can someone tell me what i am missing.....besides the obvious.
thank you very much........i hate this toilet.

bill
new orleans

Hmm. Is it an older toilet? I can't think of much besides the tube on the over flow.. But you said you replaced that so it should have been adjusted properly by the manufacturer

If you replaced the flush valve you set it not the factory. So that could be it. I have replaced flush valves before and if the nut on the bottom isn't totally snug water will leak past into the bowl. If it drives you nuts and after trying a few things it doesnt work you could just replace the whole toilet but thats just my two cents.

I am leaning towards the fill valve-to-flush valve tube too. If the tube is installed properly, here is a way to find out if the flush valve gasket and/or the flapper not making a good seal . 1st test --turn off water to toilet then remove flapper and water out tank, Mix blue food color with water in a cup (use a good amount of food color) ,carefully pour food color in toilet tank (do not spill any in flush valve hole where flapper sets) , now fill the tank with water (get water from sink) to just below the flapper hole of the flush valve let set for 30min- 1hr , If you see blue in the bowl or flush valve, your flush valve gasket is not seal. 2nd test -- Put flapper back in place, mix food color again and pour in tank, turn water to toilet back on to fill tank, let set for 30min -- 1hr, if you see blue in the bowl your flapper is not seal. IF YOU HAVE A LEAK AFTER TEST # 1, COMPLETELY FLUSH FOOD COLOR OUT TANK AND BOWL BEFORE TEST #2.

Test 1 is a sweet idea, I'm totally stealing that haha. Test 2 is always something I do if I suspect a leak.

FWIW, I have the same problem with a toilet at my daughter's home. The fill valve would shut off completely, the flapper seat area is clean, and the flapper is new. Even after multiple flapper replacements the problem of a minute leakage into the bowl continues. After very closely examining the overflow, I noticed that the ears for the flapper are not truly parallel with the tank causing the flapper to not be exactly centered, thus causing the leak. At some point I'll have to pull the tank and realign the overflow or just use that opportunity replace all the parts. I wonder whether this could be the OP's issue also.

thanks for all the advice....much appreciated. gonna try the old food color in the tank idea.
thank you guys.

Back