Toilet instalation help - toilet rocks on flange

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdog

Reaction score
This looks like a cool forum. This is my first time posting. I am installing a new toilet to get some better flushing performance. Purchased a Eljer Titan 4. Replacing a Kohler low flow from the early 90's or 80's. Always have to flush twice on #2.

The issue is the toilet rocks arround on the closet flange. The old toilet has about a 1/4" more clearance underneath so there was no interference. Here are some details. I took pics but can't find my camera cable...grrrrrr.

-Installing on concete basement floor.
-Floor is tiled up to the the flange. Floor is level in all direction.
-Closet flange is the original cast iron pipe from 37yrs ago.
-Closet flange is not level. Front is 1/4" higher than back.This translates to allot over the full length of the toilet base. Still need to measure that.
-Front of flange is about 3/4" above the tile. I estimate it needs to come down 1/4".
-Flange is solid and not rusted out.

How should I adress this. I am assuming it is best to have the toilet as flush to the floor as possible since the floor is level.
-Shim it? Seems like it would be a large gap to shim. The whole toilet will have to sit on shims.
-Is the closet flange removable? (i.e twist of)
-Cut off the flange to replace it?
-What would be the best way to replace it if yes on that? I have seen a few choices. The type that screw to the floor. Also seen a type that slips into the pipe with an expanding seal to hold it in place.
-Will replacing the flange make a difference since the pipe receiving it is not perpendicular to the floor.
-Maybe grind down the front of the flange?

Please help. I am tired of flushing twice.

Last edited:
This thread was very helpful. I am doing this same repair for the first time. My flange was poorly installed and was a 1/4" higher in the front preventing my new toilet from sitting correctly..

I see you have already decided to remove the flange and reinstall it.
Good Luck. I'm glad my how to replace a flange helped.
Post up some picture if you can.
Lets us know how it turned out.

Last edited:
Darn.....I read your post too late. Just completed it. Came out perfect. I ended up reusing the original flange. That guy was adamant about reusing it so I followed his advice. He gave me alott of other good advice on this project. Basically the same info you posted so it reinforced that this is the correct way. I can see why you recommend this approach over a push-in or expanding flange. This sucker is rock solid. It is not going anywhere. Definetly the right way to do it. The only thing was my ladle was not big enough for the full pour. I had an extra ladle handy with melted lead so the 2nd pour was within 10-15 seconds. Then packed in a bit with a flat punch and hammer. As stated earlier, I will post pics when I find my camera cable. Thanks for the advice.

I will add the pics to your post to enhance it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back