Toilet Gurgle- Any tips to determine cause?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beadell

Reaction score
I am a new home owner (just over 1 year) and have been having a terrible time with my new house. It is a 1950s built townhouse (with recent upgrades), middle unit, and so far has leaked like a sieve and had plumbing issues among others. I am hoping to get some insight into a ‘toilet gurgle’. After reading through many boards, I am hoping to get some tips for determining whether this is a clogged drain, or venting issue.

We have a second floor bathroom, and a basement bathroom. We have a washing machine and stationary tub in the basement as well. When the washing machine empties water into the stationary tub, or the upstairs shower runs, the basement toilet bubbles- it is the lowest drain point in the house. Today the water was pulled further down into the trap and there was very little water left in the bowl. The 2nd floor shower and sink drain poorly, and have for a few months (we neglected to fix this as we had some medical emergencies and house maintenance fell off the list).

Is there a way to determine if it is due to a drain clog or a venting issue? As I mentioned we had medical issues, and so very high bills, and really can’t afford a plumber unless its dire. I am hoping that with the help of a handy relative, I can at least figure out where the problem is. I also own a residential hand snake, but for this situation am not sure where to check for clogs.

Any tips are much appreciated, thanks all.

Hi Frodo- when you say sewer, what specifically are you referring to? And how should a plumber clean it, so I know that what they tell me they plan to do is on par.

Appreciate the advice, just trying to fully understand. I see you have a lot of knowledge and experience, thank you for taking the time to answer.

Plain and simple you have a partially clogged drain. Have it cleared.

Thank you SHR, I appreciate the response and am glad it sounds like a simple fix.

When I talk to a plumber, what should I expect them to do in order to clear it and do you (or any others) have a ballpark of cost- I am in the dark completely and hope to use this forum as a second opinion of sorts to know what to expect. I am in a suburb of Baltimore, MD.

Thanks all

sorry , price of plumbing work is different town to town, state to state

i could tell you $300.00 and be off by as much as $150.00 either way

you need to call a local plumber and ask their rates

also,,not knowing he layout of your house, my generic answer is,,he will pull a toilet and put a sewer machine snake out to ?

20 or 100'

Back