Toilet Gargle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05cavalier

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have one toilet that sometimes when flushed will make a single gargle sound every 2-3 minutes. The solution appears to be to gently lift up on the float arm. It moves so little you can't even tell to the naked eye or touch, but the gargle stops. Sometimes you can get a few days worth of flushes before the gargle comes back and sometimes it will start up right away.

Water level doesn't appear to ever drop, and it will never cause the toilet to run.

Looking at diagrams online the part I originally thought it might be doesn't appear to be labeled, so I'm not sure if it's part of a large assembly or not. My original thought was that it could be a seal on the fill valve assembly at the bottom where it's attached to the toilet. Anyone had this happen before and can confirm or suggest the part that needs replaced?

Had similar issue with a customer of mine.... started typing that story and figured get to the point. I would start off with a dye test in the tank in order to figure out if water is making its way through or not. Just a gargle with no water moving through could just be air trapped in the tank some place funky. If your getting a leak to the bowl I'd start with cheap and easy then go from there. Flapper to fill valve to flush valve assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both for the ideas and suggestions. I'll be working on this issue this weekend so I'll update the thread if I run into anything else.

Back