Toilet frequently/randomly clogs

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordofthethighs

Reaction score
This is a perplexing problem which we've been living with for a few years now. We have 3 bathrooms in our house - 2 upstairs, 1 downstairs.
One of the upstairs toilets (it's always the same toilet) will clog without warning. And sometimes it's a real ***** to plunge whatever it is loose. It occurs so frequent that I have to flush it first as a test before I use it, just to be on the safe side. The other toilets are not a problem.

We have 2 middle school children, and I doubt they're throwing their toys into into it.

I'm really baffled. I call this toilet the UFO - 'Unidentified Flushed Object' because my theory is maybe there's a toy/pencil/crayon/whatever from the kids a long time ago and it's wrenched in the porcelain winding ways causing the random bottleneck?

You could be right. How would you like to proceed? Drain and pull the toilet and inspect it as well as the drain or try a closet auger to see if anything can be pushed out or pulled out of the toilet?

I'll be truly amazed if my hunch was correct. Any other possibilities if nothing is found after I check it.
If I use an auger I might not know if it pushed something through will I? I mean it's possible I won't feel it through the tool.

Back