Toilet flushing problem, tried an auger

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discord

Reaction score
Hi,

I moved into a apartment recently, and about 2 weeks ago the toilet clogged. I asked the manager if he had a plunger. He had a real cheap one, and it wouldn't even cover the drain. I bought a 3' toilet auger, and was able to unclog it. However, I started having it's flush get weaker, and it clogged again.

I just got the auger out again, and unclogged it. I also put some baking soda / vinegar mixture. Assuming that the toilet clogs again, what can I do? Is it possibly in need of a longer auger? I really don't want to have to unclog the toilet every few days. The building is really old, but I notice a brass drain access ( knockout?? ) cover between the shower and the toilet.

Since I have already attempted to fix the issue myself, is it now the landlord's responsibility? What if the issue cannot be resolved?

I don't know landlord/tenant law in my area, let alone your area. But absent abuse on the part of the tenant, I would think that clogs would be the landlord's responsibility.

If it really is a very old building, it likely has cast iron drain piping, which tends to scale up and clog over time.

The toilet clogged again. I really don't enjoy needing to get the auger out every week or two. Besides it's dirty when that happens. I'm going to make a video of the flushing behavior to get an opinion if it's the flush that's the problem, or the drain. I've never had a toilet clog on me so often. I'm going to talk to the manager tomorrow. I have a suspicion they know there were issues with the toilet before renting to me but never disclosed that.

Last edited:
I had a first generation low flow "water saver" toilet that used to clog frequently simply because of poor design and too-low of a flow. Replacing the toilet solved it.

I finally had a chance to post this video of the clogging toilet. [ame="http://youtu.be/A03nz2YVq7U"]http://youtu.be/A03nz2YVq7U[/ame]

How old are the first gen? this toilet looks pretty new.

I had a first generation low flow "water saver" toilet that used to clog frequently simply because of poor design and too-low of a flow. Replacing the toilet solved it.

The flushing rim may be blocked due to past tenants using tank cleaning blue or green gel, it dissolves and gets stuck in the rim. By the look of the flush and the inside parts of your tank you should have more of a spiral flush.

Sent from my iPhone using Plumbing Forum

I forgot to update the thread. I called a plumber out and it turns out a toothbrush was stuck in the trap. He was able to see it with a flexible camera, and use an auger to remove it.

Yeah, sometimes in rental units prior tenants try to flush things down the toilet that end up causing problems for the next tenant.

Steve B.
Air Delights, Inc.
No links in posts, please

Last edited by a moderator:
Back