toilet flappers - some work, and some don't

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Lassiter

Reaction score
Needed to replace a toilet flapper for a standard 2" diameter drain. Got a Korky 2", and installed it. It leaked. The plug below the flap was quite small, and would certainly not seal in the 2" drain. Replaced it with a Fluidmaster 2", which had a noticeably larger plug. Works very well. Now, the Fluidmaster has a plastic snap-on bracket, which will break with time, while the Korky is all rubber. So I'm suspecting the Korky would survive longer, but it leaks. If you're replacing the flapper in your toilet, might want to pay some attention to how the plug in the flapper would fit in the drain pipe. These different brands are not equivalent in design.

I guess my point is that if you have several brands, a close look at them might save some time.

BTW, my first thought was that maybe I needed a 3" flapper. But that won't fit. Amusing how all the advice on choosing your flapper is (1) get one like what you replaced, and (2) blather about tennis balls and softballs. It's really about the diameter of the drain, which is straightforward to measure. I'm assuming that, quite simply, a 2" diameter drain needs a 2" flapper. Is this not the case? Sort of odd that Korky makes a flapper with a plug that doesn't come even close to filling the drain.

Last edited:
Not all 2” flappers will work on all 2” flushvalves.

The distance from the attachment ear holes to the center of the flushvalve can be a little different between brands.

Use what is known to work or try different ones.

Wow, that distance can vary? That would mean that you need to use the flapper brand that goes with the attachment post. As in ALWAYS replace the flapper with the same brand. That's kind of doofus engineering and marketing. If someone complains about a leaky toilet, you mean a plumber just comes in and tries different flappers? Hooboy.

Wow, that distance can vary? That would mean that you need to use the flapper brand that goes with the attachment post. As in ALWAYS replace the flapper with the same brand. That's kind of doofus engineering and marketing.
But you don’t always have to replace the flapper with the same brand.

There are brands that will work and some won’t.

I carry several brands. If one doesn’t work then I try another. It’s part of the job.

But the original manufacturer never says explicitly that when you do a replacement, you should understand that OUR part is going to fit. Others may not. That's what's a little doofus. That is, I went out and bought any old 2" flapper. That was a mistake. No, you don't have to replace the flapper with the same brand IF you know what brands work and which don't. I don't keep several brands available. I don't want to hire a plumber with a well stocked truck to come in and just replace a flapper.

Products change over time for one reason or another. Nothing is “ standard “ any longer.

There are thousands of different faucet stems……It’s a mess ! 🤣

I’m laughing because I’m currently as we speak building some shelving with some drawers in van so I can be better stocked and organized. 😬

Not sure what you mean by "plug", if you're referring to the bulb of the flapper that does not perform any sealing function. The seal is made by the flat outer rim surface on the bottom of the flapper. Like @Twowaxhack said some flappers work better than others in some toilets, for example I have not had much success with using anything but Kohler flappers in Kohler toilets.

By "plug" I mean the part that extends below the flat flap. Sort of bulb-like. My presumption was that this was supposed to more or less fits in the drain orifice, making a better seal. Certainly the second flapper I got had a larger plug that, as well as I could measure them, fit neatly into the orifice, and it sealed a lot better. So if that plug doesn't seal, why is it there at all? I guess when the flap is pulled up to flush, and it is surrounded by water, the hollow plug provides some bouyancy, which allows the flap to stay up long enough to empty the tank entirely. Maybe that's what it's for?

......Now, the Fluidmaster has a plastic snap-on bracket, which will break with time, ....
That plastic doesn't break very easily. Have one toilet where the 100% fluid master setup has been working flawlessly for the last 19 years. Used in every rental unit. Have long since given up buying any other brand, if it works, use it

In a five year old installation, that black plastic bracket broke for me. That's partly why I replaced it with the Korky. Lessons learned.

Not sure what you mean by "plug", if you're referring to the bulb of the flapper that does not perform any sealing function. The seal is made by the flat outer rim surface on the bottom of the flapper. Like @Twowaxhack said some flappers work better than others in some toilets, for example I have not had much success with using anything but Kohler flappers in Kohler toilets.
I just replaced a kohler flapper in a kohler toilet yesterday. I agree you need to get the correct flapper. On the back of the toilet lid is a picture
of all the parts and their numbers. Went and got the correct flapper and it works perfectly. But I am like TWH and keep different flappers
to because sometimes you try one and it doesn't work so you try one until it does. Thats the life of a plumber.

Back of my "Standard" toilet lid is dead blank. Maybe newer toilets do this? Gosh, "Standard" turned into "American Standard" in 1967. I've never replaced this toilet in 30 years, but the house is about 70 years old. Maybe it's an original toilet?

Back