Toilet flange is 2" above baseboard

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norpus

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently I have tiled my bathroom and removed the toilet to tile under it. When I have replaced the toilet it wobbled and leaked. I have removed the toilet again and noticed that the old flange was bent. Also tt was not secured to the baseboard. It was an old brass flange and I have removed to replace it but if I bring the new flange level with the floor I will have a 1.5 " space between the flange and the board. There is a 1.5" layer of concrete on top of the baseboard.

Do you recommend to use concrete or mortar to build a platform for the new flange, and screw the flange into this? Do you have any other recommendation on how to secure the flange to the baseboard?

Thank you,

IMG-20140811-00166.jpg

If you have access under the floor transition the cast iron to pvc or use a pvc repair flange for cast iron. Be sure to secure the flange to the floor.

Thanks, but if I secure the flange to the floor board it will be 1.5" below the tile level. I believe the flange should be flush with the floor. I just not quite sure how to build it up, should I use mortar or concrete? Also, the drain is not cast iron but brass, I can just solder the new flange to it, if I can purchase a 3" brass flange.

Thanks again for your help!

the flange should be flush to the floor. if you have a concrete floor you can build it up with hydralic cement. if it is wood on a crawl space you will need to build up the floor

Back