Toilet Flange and Tub Spout/Trim Tolerances

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oona

Reaction score
What are the out of plumb tolerances for toilet flanges and tub spouts/trim?

I have recently had a plumber install the rough in piping for my toilet and and tub spout & tub trim kit and I was unhappy with the results (see photos).

Renos%25202012-05-15%2520004.JPG

Renos%25202012-05-15%2520008.JPG

Renos%25202012-05-07%2520008.JPG

Renos%25202012-05-07%2520007.JPG

Although it is not glued yet, the toilet flange in the off-vertical sewer pipe is off horizontal by about 4 degrees (which amounts to almost 1/2")whereas the tub spout/trim kit is off by about 7 degrees!

I have lost faith in my plumber so what are my options for installing the toilet flange? I am guessing that glueing the flange and screwing it tight might overstress the existing pipe and joints.

Thanks for your help!!

As far as the tub faucet the only way to correct it is to reset the valve body so it's level. (really bad job) I hope you haven't paid him. As far as the closet flange what is it going into a section of pipe or a fitting? Chances are that can be corrected but not with that flange.
John

The stub out for the toilet stop looks a bit short for a stop and a escutecheon. If a coupling is need , it will not look good exposed.

Thanks for your responses!! Unfortunately, I have paid him!! :( Didn't realize the poor rough in on either item until after the tile was up. I have had nothing but problems with the plumber so I do not even want him to come back to fix it for free!!

The toilet flange is going into a section of pipe. I thought it might just be out the 1:50 (1.2 degree) slope of the drain but the plumber somehow compounded it up to 4 degrees. Yay!! The pipe is a 4 inch pipe so the first thought was fitting a 4" toilet flange over top but this looked ridiculous so the second thought was a 4" to 3" reducer flange to fit within the pipe. Any suggestions?

Use a inside pipe cutter to remove 1/4'' to 1/2'' of the vertical toilet drain piping, this should let the flange set flush to the floor. The 4/3 flange will be fine, just secure flange to floor.

Back