Toilet clearance depends on what "in front of" means

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCurt

Reaction score
From the 2012 IPC:

405.3.1 There shall be at least a 21-inch (533-mm) clearance in front of the water closet, urinal, lavatory or bidet to any wall, fixture or door.

What does "in front of" mean? I.e., how wide does the clearance area have to be? As wide as the toilet seat? 30"?

Will a really nice inspector let me get away with the attached layout? Looks like plenty of space to me.

If I have to move the sink three more inches away from the toilet, then I will have to relocate all the plumbing, and the door will crash into the sink. I might have the door swing out anyway, but does the code allow for the door to get closer than 21" to the sink as it swings?

bathroom_layout_dims_door.jpg

If everything is structured properly and there is no safety hazards I don't see why it would be a big problem. Just make sure you do it properly, it should barely be noticeable.

I'm not an inspector, but the general intent of the code is to keep people from bumping in to things and to allow sufficient movement. If the sink doesn't jut out in front of the bowl, it is probably ok for it to be that distance from the toilet.

You might want to use boxes as proxies for the fixtures and lay them out at the distances and see how comfortable it is to move around them.

I think the rule about the distance from the door is when the door is closed. I don't know if there is any code about distance of a door from fixtures while open-- although I think its understood that the door should not hit any of the fixtures.

Latest posts

Back