Toilet bowl water level dropping

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinkgreen216

Reaction score
Recently I've noticed the water level in my bathroom toilet bowl dropping. I'm not sure what the cause is but here's a little background. I recently replaced the toilet in the main bathroom of our home with a new Kohler toilet. It works great and has no problems. The toilet that is having water level issues is the toilet in the master bathroom. The two toilets probably share the same drain I'm guessing because they are only a few feet apart from one another. They're basically divided by an adjoining wall. I have noticed when the new toilet is flushed I can see the water in the other toilet gently slosh back and forth and the water level drops just a little. If the new toilet isn't used, the water level doesn't appear to drop in the other toilet. Another thing to note, I did smell a faint sewage smell the other day but I've only noticed this 2 or three times. Does anyone have any guidance or suggestions to correct this problem?

One more thing to note, the new Kohler toilet claims to be able to flush giant turds (okay, I made up the turd part) but it does advertising the ability to evacuate the toilet bowl quite rapidly (which it does)

I'll also add that this is only a one way problem. The new toilets water level isn't affected by the old toilet being flushed.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions to remedy my problem.

Last edited:
Sounds like the new toilet, when flushed is siphoning the older one a bit,check the water level in your tank make sure the water is up to the line, maybe it's not filling enough, and the water seal in the bowl isn't high enough

Auger the toilet. Especially if you or someone else flushes dental floss

Sounds like the new toilet, when flushed is siphoning the older one a bit,check the water level in your tank make sure the water is up to the line, maybe it's not filling enough, and the water seal in the bowl isn't high enough
Thanks for the Response. Which toilet am I checking the water level in the tank? The new toilet or the old? Also on the seal. Could the seal on the older toilet be compromised and causing the problem? I've also read somewhere to check my exhaust vents on the roof to make sure their isn't any blockage, could this cause the problem as well and explain the slight sewage smell I've noticed a few times?

Thanks for the Response. Which toilet am I checking the water level in the tank? The new toilet or the old? Also on the seal. Could the seal on the older toilet be compromised and causing the problem? I've also read somewhere to check my exhaust vents on the roof to make sure their isn't any blockage, could this cause the problem as well and explain the slight sewage smell I've noticed a few times?
The one that's giving you issues

Back