Toilet and Tank Hardware, Bolts and Wingnuts Installation?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDXWITHSPEED

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I have a leak on my toilet tank coming from the tank toilet bottom bowl screws. I went to the hardware store and purchased the set of hardware kit for replacement. I have a problem with figuring out how to install the bolts because I do not have any instructions. I really don't know why is there a nut and wingnut in this kit!!
I watched a video with someone saying that they put the nut between the tank and toilet bowl and the wingnut in the bottom of the bowl that hold pressure on the tank! I just don't know!

Thus anyone have a picture, diagram, or great advice with installation?Toilet Tank hardware.png

First, make sure the china near the holes is clean, and no minerals or slime.

The way I would do it is to install a rubber/fiber washer onto the bolts, then slide the bolts down through the tank holes.
Then slide up another rubber/fiber washer, then a metal washer, then a hex nut.
Tighten the nuts snug, but too tight can crack china, or squish the rubber washers too much and they will distort and leak.

Then make sure the tank to bowl gasket is in good shape and sitting right.
Getting it wet sometimes helps it stay where it belongs during tank attachment.

Put the tank on, maybe with a helper.
Slide up a metal washer onto each bolt, attach wing nuts, and tighten a little bit back and forth, adjusting tank until the tank is level and secure.

With a rubber/fiber washer on both sides of the tank bottom holes, the tank is much more likely to stay leak free.
Even if someone leans hard on the tank.

If you get drips from the bolts, take it all apart and put some pipe dope on the bolt threads for the first inch, near and under the bolt head, and a thin layer around the tank holes, above and below.
And a thin layer on the metal washer facing up to the lower rubber washer.

Sometimes the wing nuts need a very slight extra tighten after a few days, if the tank is wobbly.

Back