to drain or not to drain?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcf57

Reaction score
I have a 5yr old (gas) hot water heater that I think needs to be drained. Recently, I noticed the hot water is initially turning brown when first turned on in ANY sink fo the house. After about 5 mins running, it clears up. From what I have started researching, it seems like my hot water heater may need to be drained in since there is probably too much sentiment & junk at the bottom.

I have never drained this water heater causeI have always heard conflicting reports on if a water heater should be drained or not. Some say "if it ain't broke" don't mess with it/ Others say at least once per year.

I have seen some youtube video that say you have to be careful cause if you start opening valves up (drain and pressure release), you may not be able to fully close them & then have more problems on your hands.

I have read that preparation for this task includes the following:
  • turning off cold water supply
  • open pressure release valve
  • turn off gas line
  • switch to "pilot" on water heater
  • connect standard garden hose to drain line
Any other recommendations? Or should I not even mess with it and just let the water "clear up" as it is currently doing?

Try just putting a hose on the drain valve and open it all the way and don't turn anything off. Its just like running a
faucet but its the bottom of your tank. See if you get any junk out the end of your hose. Run it for about 10 minutes.

I always have an air compressor connected to the system when I drain ours, because I am winterizing the house to leave for 5 months. I think this helps as the air pressure going down the dip tube agitates the silt in the bottom, and it cleans it better. I leave everything empty with a little air pressure in it, if it's still pressurized when we get home, I know we don't have any leaks.

Back