To caulk or not to caulk

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebojsa

Reaction score
I have never done it, but i have head for and against caulking the bottom of a toilet. Anybody has any experience with this.

UPC requires caulking the base. We always leave a hidden open spot in the rear.
And because I am always updating (plumbing contractor's life) my toilets, I never caulk the home toilets.

I have repaired many water leaks and rotted floors from toilets not being tight to the floor and breaking the wax seal. I am in the habit of checking toilets to see if they are loose on the floor, by putting the bowl between my thighs and seeing if I can move it side to side. I have found that at least 70% of the 1,000+ toilets that I have encountered (mostly in homes) are loose on the floor. In my opinion, this new requirement to caulk the base is another way to secure the toilet to the floor, although I believe that the rationale is that it will keep water from seeping under the base. In reality I don't see that potential water as a problem. How often does enough water get splashed onto the floor around a toilet to run under the base? I think very rarely. If the wax seal was not installed properly (such as a wax seal with a horn installed where the toilet flange sits fully on top of the floor, leaving little room for wax), it could leak and the water now cannot get out, which will rot out the floor quicker.
That is my perspective of caulking. I would like to hear reasons why it is important to caulk the base.

In WI, we don't need to caulk toilets, so we don't. The only toilets you see caulked around here are in big chain restaurant type places (probably better for mopping around), and from homeowners who slop it in there thinking it'll stop their leak.

It's such a mess to clean up when you have to pull the toilet. I'm thankful we don't deal with it much.

Back