Timer valve for sink?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisj1123

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a problem Im trying to figure out and know how to fix it but dont know if they make the part I need.
My grandfather lives with us and has alzheimer's disease. Most days are pretty good but his mind is starting to go more. He has his own basment appartment area so he is close to us but still makes him feel like he is living on his own. He has been leaving the sink on when he washes his dishes which drains the hot water heater for the whole house. We dont know its running because its in the basement and we are upstairs.
I would like to install a timer on the sink that will only allow the sink to run for a certin length of time say 20-30 min. I have looked at auto shutoff faucets but all i could find is one that you would push a button and have water for like 30 sec. Because most days are still pretty good for him so I cant have it shutting off every 30 sec. I would like something that could detect water flow then begin a "countdown"

Do they make a valve that has a flow timer that could be set at like 20-30 mins?

You could try looking at faucets that have optic eyes. They will run if the sense someones hand under faucet and will shut off if it does not sense anything. It is more commercial faucets but check out sloan and symmons. They might have something you can use

Cant use optic eyes either. He does fill stuff up in the sink. This is where I think the problem comes in, I thinks he starts to fill something up and walks away for a sec and forgets about it completely. Thats why I was thinking of a flow detection timer.

What about a commercial foot pedal valve. He would have to stand on the pedal to operate the faucet.

Last edited:
Check out the foot valve setup. Notice the foot valve at the floor in front of the cabinet.

save.jpg

I was thinking about that as well. Not sure he would go for it but if it is my only option then that may be what I do, I was just hoping there was some kind of timer out there I could install so it wouldnt change the way he has to do something. (Anyone with an elder with alzheimer's disease knows what how much of a hassel it is to change the way they do something)

Both of my parents suffered with Alzheimer's, and know how horrible this disease can be. Since they also demanded to live on their own, my biggest concern was their forgetfulness when it came to turning on the oven and leaving items for a prolonged time. I had to add a few elbows and black pipe extensions behind their stove which allowed me to shut off the gas easily. After awhile, as the disease progressed, it was necessary to hire a caretaker part time, then later full time until the end. I wish you the best, as this can really wear down your family and friends.

You could also check into a capacitor faucet that only comes on when your hand is near the faucet. These are made by Technical Concepts but is now owned by Rubbermaid. They make a couple of different styles including a gooseneck model.
No links in posts, please

Last edited by a moderator:
Back