Tile grout repair question?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSkyHigh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've never worked with grout before and I a couple of pieces of tile in the tub/shower area where the grout has started to deteriorate and is a prime place for "vegetation", dark spots, to start growing between weekly cleanings. The deterioration is no more than half a tile width and maybe four or five locations altogether. Can the small section of grout be repaired successfully or would this be like pulling the loose end of the sweater in that cartoon we all remember from a kinder, gentler time and end up having to re-grout the entire tub before it's all over? Thanks for your thoughts!

If your grout is healthy it'll stay, if it's not then it needs to come out, and it will when you start to cut out the bad spots.

This will happen when either your exhaust fan is broken, undersized or not utilized enough. You need to remove the moisture to stop mold growth and to keep your grout healthy.

This will happen when either your exhaust fan is broken, undersized or not utilized enough. You need to remove the moisture to stop mold growth and to keep your grout healthy.
It's about 25 years old, lots of moisture even though we use the fan every time we shower and other things that shall remain nameless, and clean the dust from the fan often. The area sometimes does not dry out completely between shower cycles during the summer months when the humidity is higher.

I hear you as I have the same issue. Until I install a humidity controlled exhaust fan, I leave the light/fan on for 15-20 minutes after I shower, and since doing so, have not had an issue. Also, you might get into the prctice of sealing your grout with a good grout sealer every 6 months, which makes a world of difference to maintain the health of your grout.

You can buy an inexpensive tile grout saw to clean out some of the grout and then re-grout. If it is a colored grout, you might have a hard time matching the color.
I do a lot of ventilation work and I have tested many bath fans for actual flow rate. Most bath fans do not blow anywhere near what they are rated at and some even fail the toilet paper test. That is because most fans are installed by electricians or DIY homeowners who don't understand how to properly run the ducting.

Back