Tight faucet handle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yong321

Reaction score
I have this type of faucet

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/assets/documents/amstd/install/Install_555.pdf

The handle for the cold water faucet is too tight. Maybe there's too much calcification built up, a broken O-ring, or something. I want to disassemble it and check. But I can't figure out how to open it. According to the above installation instruction, step 10, I think after I undo the handle screw (part 3), I should be able to pull the handle base (2) off of the adapter (1). I tried. No luck. Any help is appreciated.

yong321 said:
I have this type of faucet

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/assets/documents/amstd/install/Install_555.pdf

The handle for the cold water faucet is too tight. Maybe there's too much calcification built up, a broken O-ring, or something. I want to disassemble it and check. But I can't figure out how to open it. According to the above installation instruction, step 10, I think after I undo the handle screw (part 3), I should be able to pull the handle base (2) off of the adapter (1). I tried. No luck. Any help is appreciated.

Step 1 turn anglestops off and relief pressure from faucet.

Step 2 remove screw

Step 3 remove handle, it maybe stuck. wiggle handle left to right then front to back while pulling up.

desertwater, thank you. The handle is stuck. It won't rock or roll at all. The screw in the center is completely loosened (your Step 2) but I can't take it out, thinking it's unnecessary. (If needed, I may fish it out with a magnet.)

What else could it be? The fixture looks fairly new. No rust.

If turning on faucet no water runs out, can I say the pressure is relieved?

yong321 said:
desertwater, thank you. The handle is stuck. It won't rock or roll at all. The screw in the center is completely loosened (your Step 2) but I can't take it out, thinking it's unnecessary. (If needed, I may fish it out with a magnet.)

What else could it be? The fixture looks fairly new. No rust.

If turning on faucet no water runs out, can I say the pressure is relieved?

Yes pressure is relieved... All I can say is take the screw out and spray wd 40 in there and let it sit for a few minutes. Or get your self a handle puller but ive been plumbing for years and have never needed one. I do have a kung fu grip through.

Latest posts

Back