Threaded Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbito86

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I replaced a length of some original galvanized with PEX using a brass 3/4" x 1/2" threaded to barbed adapter. It's developed a small leak that seems to appear in the same spot, regardless of how much I've turned it.

My other fittings in the entire job are doing fine, no leaks (there is of course another threaded connection on the other end of this length of PEX, I also put a ball valve downstream of this connection, tee'd off from the new section of PEX, added a 1/2" x 1/4" angle stop, then it's directly into the fridge from there), and this isn't my first plumbing job. Tightening this connection doesn't seem to be changing anything, and at this point it's as tight as I can get it. Plus I'm afraid of putting too much torque on the crimped PEX connection.

PXL_20220320_233417486.jpg

It’ll probably stop after a few days. You could take it back apart and use some good pipe dope on it.

... It's developed a small leak that seems to appear in the same spot, regardless of how much I've turned it...

Same problem on a softener install I just did - 1 drip every 2-3 hours :pissed: :mad:!

I'm holding out hope for the "mineral build up" @bobbito86 was saying - luckily the drip is pre-softener :rolleyes: . Giving it a few weeks to see what happens...

Same problem on a softener install I just did - 1 drip every 2-3 hours :pissed: :mad:!

I'm holding out hope for the "mineral build up" @bobbito86 was saying - luckily the drip is pre-softener :rolleyes: . Giving it a few weeks to see what happens...

lol may the plumbing gods smile upon our efforts

I've never had this before. I'm wondering if maybe I damaged the threading? Or maybe I damaged the female tee? I'm just dreading the thought of having to go back and redo ANY of it.

Like Twowaxhack said, use dope if it doesn't stop. The only time I use tape now is with my air lines.

When you take steel or galvanized fittings apart, the mineral buildup, rust, or galling can damage threads, but there is nothing that you can do about that. The brass has excellent threads, so the tee is the culprit. Using a good pipe dope will take care of imperfections in used pipe and fittings MUCH better than tape.

Like Twowaxhack said, use dope if it doesn't stop. The only time I use tape now is with my air lines.

When you take steel or galvanized fittings apart, the mineral buildup, rust, or galling can damage threads, but there is nothing that you can do about that. The brass has excellent threads, so the tee is the culprit. Using a good pipe dope will take care of imperfections in used pipe and fittings MUCH better than tape.

Ahhh, thanks for that!

Latest posts

Back