This floor drain looks awful. Advice?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KansasJack

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Here's my situation: After realizing that stinky air blows out of the floor drain whenever a toilet is flushed, I removed the grate to take a look assuming the trap was dry. There is water in the trap, but I noticed holes in the sidewall of the drain that appear to be the result of corrosion. I had my wife flush the toilet again and determined that the stinky air was coming from the holes. See photo. I'm guessing there's a broken pipe under the concrete that's causing this. Does that seem feasible? I'm not sure which way the pipe goes to the main drain since there are floor valves to the right and the left of it. I'm guessing that my only recourse is the bust up a big section of the floor to get a sure idea of how everything is connected. Is there another way to do that without tearing up the floor? Thanks. - Jack

drainpic.jpg
[/IMG]

drainpic2.jpg
[/IMG]

Have you tried to fill the drain to a point above the holes? Do you know if this is part of the house sewer plumbing or part of an under-floor basement water removal system. If the latter, your main vent might be plugged somewhere and it is finding its way out through here. Don't know. If the water won't stand at a level above the holes, then the reason for the holes is unclear. Try plugging them temporarily with wet rags and flush the toilet to see what happens. If you think they are actual holes that are not supposed to be there, you could insert a pipe into the bottom drain as far as it will go and mount a drain on top of it. Then pour concrete around the new drain.

Thanks for the response. I had a plumber come to the house and take a look at it last week. It appears that the drain is clogged badly so the previous homeowner removed the vent plug to allow water to drain that way. As a result I get nasty fumes. There's a lot of corrosion so I plan to break up the concrete and put in PVC lines.

Back