There is no Sewer pipe going directly in to septic tank is that a problem?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toryin

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a septic service guy pump out my concrete septic tank.. I just got off work and he was already there with the lid open and i noticed there was no pipe leading in to the tank inlet hole (there is a crack in concrete by the hole)and I saw a L shaped pipe laying on the bottom inside the tank... He said it was already like that and that it's not gonna hurt anything.... but I am worried the sewage will not go in to the tank but instead puddle in front of it since there is no Sewer pipe going directly in to septic tank. I made a video.. it was dark outside already will upload a day time video later on today.

Attachments

• VID_20231128_191559122~2.mp4
    20.8 MB
It seems like a wise idea to dig on the side where the pipe is broken and replace the pipe, connecting the new to the pipe from the house. Having sewage solids gather in front of the tank will certainly attract rats and skunks- especially if the pipe isn't deep underground. One could even crawl into the hole and die in the tank.

Hydraulic cement will cure in minutes so you can fix the tank crack and back-fill right away. If the ground freezes where you live, you may want to attack this soon.

Paul

Thank you for the reply. I will follow ur advise. I will dig and look for the house pipe then connect it to the septic tank with a sewage pipe. I was really wondering though if the septic service guy was honest with me, in that the previous owner had sewage running freely in to the tank without a pipe and that it won't hurt nothing(it doesn't make sense to me). There was a lot of hard sludge in the tank that I think could have been soil that previously flowed in to the tank since there is no pipe.. the inlet baffle was/is still laying inside the tank and the service guy did not even bother to mention it untill I got home and pointed it out when I checked on him sucking out the tank. I had to leave to run errands and wanted to get the baffle out once I return but the contractor had already shut the lid and covered it with dirt before I got back.. i don't feel right that i paid 350 bucks and am more worried now about my septic system than before the pump out. I am also not sure if the crack by the inlet hole was caused by him using the excavator to open the heavy lid or if it really already was like that before. I posted some pictures from the side where the waste water flows as I can't seem to identify a pipe coming from the house maybe someone can also give me clues if the system really has been running without a pipe for at least 3+ years based on how it looks.

Attachments

• IMG_20231129_155217585.jpg
    IMG_20231129_155217585.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20231129_155255444.jpg
    IMG_20231129_155255444.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 2
  • VID_20231129_155644418~2.mp4
    24 MB
  • VID_20231129_155224524.mp4
    11.6 MB
The damage in the tank wall mayb e from when the pipe snapped off. My guess is that somewhere along the line, a cleaner's scraping spade hit the pipe, but it was partly rusted already.

You could try showing the photos to a different septic tank maintenance company for an opinion and an estimate to fix and clean out the hard sludge. The sludge is probably dirt that washed into the hole in the tank wall.

To find the pipe coming from the house, dig straight from the tank wall a few feet. If it isn't there and the pipe is metal, perhaps use a metal detector, starting where the pipe leaves the house. You can also rent a locator, such as those that Miss Dig people use. If you know an electrician, she may have one. And, there are companies who will locate it for a fee.

If the pipe is plastic and you can't find it, dump some food coloring or dye in a drain inside & run water. If it does not show up near the tank hole, the pipe is broken farther back. Try using a blow-out bag (photo below) in a pipe and send hot water through it. You may see steam coming up from the dirt if the pipe isn't deep. Or try compressed air in the bag. You may see bubbles coming up through the dirt. That will be where the pipe broke.

Worst Case: Dig outside the house where the pipe exits the building and continue to the tank. Replace the whole line. But, how deep is it? How far is the tank away? Are you hand digging clay or sand? It might be a big project to expose the pipe, but replacing will be quick and easy.

If it takes an excavator to get the lid off, perhaps you can have a lighter one made from aluminum tread plate. Or, was the guy too lazy to pry & drag?

I think it's really, really important to make sure the building sewer gets into the tank. This is primarily for health reasons.
Paul
PS: That water in your photos is probably loaded with pathogens from the sewage leak. The white foam is a clue. Handle it with care.

Attachments

• Blow Out Bags.png
    Blow Out Bags.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 0
Back