The difference between USA and europe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alefromitaly

Reaction score
What is the material used in USA for sanitary water?in Italy we can use iron pipes, multi-layer, copper (only for potable water, not all types), inox steel pipes, and plastic pipes.. How many system have you got?

Sent from italy

I'm sorry.. Not inox iron pipes but stainless steel.. :banghead:

Sent from italy

I don't work inside homes but I do street and site work and we use, PVC from C900 to SCH 40 SCH 80, Copper pipe, Ductile Iron, HDPE and I think that is it.

For outside we use iron pipes with CPS, or PE pipes for high pressure.. I watched one time, the Ductile iron.. But we don't use this system from years..

Sent from italy

PVC for main line is C900 and is bell and spigot push together. and for smaller 1" and 2" lines it is glue together.

Every water service from the street to property line is Type K copper pipe. Onsite it is different from job to job.

4417d1385168721-couple-pics-my-work-image-1631742381.jpg

4394d1384998441-couple-pics-my-work-image-116478885.jpg

I understand.. And copper lines are welded?or use you a press fittings?
Thank you Chris..
Sent from italy

Copper depending on the district is either soldered or a compression fitting is used and sometimes a flared fitting.

So, do you use a plenty copper in USA?We use copper for gas, radiators, radiators panels, so much less for sanitary water.. Sorry Chris but I'm curios.. :D

Sent from italy

We do quite a bit. I know they use it inside the home as well but yes just about every water service 3 inch and smaller will be copper with brass valves and fittings.

Gas in my area is all HDPE pipe until the home where it changes to metal pipe.

For the gas we have a similar law to your, with some restrictions for indoor passages..for outdoor lines, the society of gas use iron pipe with cathodic protection system till the gas counter, after from contour to house, we can use PE, (when the passage is under the floor) or iron or copper when the passage is on the floor, on the wall ecc.. Inside the passage of pipe must be in copper, or iron, but must be upon floor.. If this is under we must respect another laws..from water we haven't particular restrict..

Sent from italy

I watched your photos this afternoon.. I don't make a job like your.. You work with a big pipe.. I'm a "civil" plumber, we make houses, industries, and we have a van for searching leak and pipes washing

Sent from italy

What type of pipe that is used varies a lot from one area to another.

Here in Florida, the most common type of pipe used in new homes is CPVC, a rigid plastic pipe. Next most common is PEX, a flexible plastic pipe. Occasionally we use copper, but the water around here is usually very corrosive, and eats up copper rather soon. There is one other type of flexible plastic pipe, called Aquatherm, but I have no experience with it. No one uses it anymore, but it is allowed to use galvanized steel pipe.

Outside, the most common pipe is PVC, but we can also use copper, HDPE, PE, CPVC, PEX, or galvanized.

I know aquaterm.. But I hate this system.. Have good only price..

Back