The building assume my toilet leaking...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooper

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I need help on your professional advice please!

The super assumes my toilet leaking and cause downstairs's bathroom ceiling has water damaged.

I moved in 2yrs ago to apt building and we re-do the whole bathroom. We have everything brand new. TOTO toilet, all Grohe faurcets, new tiles on wall and the floor, new tub. Everything done by all licensed professional.

Today, the super said there is a leak from our toilet. He thinks it's the wax seal problem. He asked me if I have any clog problem and I said no. He checked around the toilet and couldn't found any leak or water spot from the edge around my toilet. He said We need to dig up our toilet and check the wax seal.

I told him if it is leak, the water will also leak from the side of my toilet? Because it is all dry and never has any water leak out.

If there is a bad wax seal, will the water leak out from the edge or it doesn't?

The super will call up a licensed plumber and remove my toilet next week.
Should I let them do it? How can we tell if they said it is a bad wax seal?
anything I can fight against them?

The building trying to blame on my toilet and they said if the problem is from my side, I have to pay for the damage. What can I do? Called up insurance company and they don't cover leak. They only cover damage if I pouring water and damage the other apt. Also the tenant won't let me check his bathroom. I went with he super one day and wanted to see how bad is the leak and He refused to let me in.

Sorry for the long post but I need some professional advices please!
Thanks!!

It is possible that it is from your toilets wax seal. Many times it will not show any signs of leaking above the floor. What I would do is hire your own plumber to pull the toilet to see if it's been leaking. At least he will give you a honest opinion.

John

I agree, hire your own licensed and insured plumber to come out and pull your toilet to check for a leak. Like John said, it is possible that your toilet is leaking below and not showing in your bathroom, but the fact that your downstairs neighbor won't let you see the damage is suspicious.

Thanks guys!
Thanks for the information!
I will try to get a plumber and take a look! Thanks!

I also want to know the price range of the service?
what is the recent price for checking the leak. (removing the toilet if possible).

Thanks!

Generally it would only take about 1hour to pull and reset a toilet .
providing the stop valve works okay and the flange the toilet is bolted to is okay and there is nothing else wrong that needs attention.

It is quite often that when a flooring contractor resets a toilet after installing new flooring that they did not reset it properly.

I recently pulled one and the occupant said they had new vinyl laid about 3 yrs ago. This is what they did. This one was very bad.
Most likely with new the tile floor the is now lower than before and a regular wax seal is not enough.

The metal flange had rusted away so the just screwed a couple brackets to the floor over the new vinyl they just laid

020 (640x480).jpg

021 (640x480).jpg

Last edited:
Here is the update:

The plumber came and removed the toilet. Check on the wax seal.
Here are all the pictures.
So can anyone tell me is it a leak? :confused::confused:

14328e16.jpg

e80d8bcc.jpg

8d2ef5c6.jpg

d3f2134d.jpg

1c155d90.jpg

64004e81.jpg

It sure was leaking around the wax seal. The flange is lower then normal. It should set on top of the floor. But it could have been very easily solved by using two wax seals. I would be making a call to the plumber that originally set the toilet. He should have known better.

John

Get rid of the damn wax gasket with the horn...get a stack n seal or two raise the height and reset the modular rough in

It looks like the wax wasnt making a good seal around the toilet, normally they would be a lot more squished then that. You should definatly have a riser kit installed on your flange to raise it up so you get that nice seal when the toilet it re installed. Right now its about level with the floor, it should be on top of the floor

edit**

Crap.....as usual Johnjh20 beats us to the punch. I didnt notice page 2 :(

Thanks for the replied.
The plumber put double wax when he installed back the toilet.
Well, I hope everything will be alright now.
but still, I didn't get a bill from them yet.
(The plumber spent an hour to do this: lift up the toilet, check on the seal and then reseat the toilet.)
g

I would be more worried about what they are going to try and charge you for the neighbors ceiling then the plumber.

the neighbor is weird.
they don't let the super takes pictures.

And yes, I never seen the damaged ceiling yet.
Hmm... I need to put some pressure on them.

Back