Testing DWV system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimongee

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm installing my own plumbing in the house my wife and I are building
It's a single floor with a bonus over garage. The bonus has a bathroom. I ave completed routing and connecting all drains and vents. Now I want to test the system before I call for an inspection. I assumed I cap off all open pipes and then fill the entire system with water and look for leaks. I'm told here in TN that's how it's done. My question is what do I have to do-go into the attic and start filling the system by pouring water down the highest vent? This seems wrong or overkill. If any of you can point me in the correct direction...that would be great.
Thank so much,
Jim

I believe that is what they want, 10' of head pressure. Stick a length in the top fitting of your highest fixture usually the bathroom sink and fill. Cap off all stub outs and put a test plug in your cleanout in the basement. I believe a company called Cherne makes the test ball you will need.

not only do you fill the stack with water, you have to provide safe access to the spot you filled with water for the inspector

whenever i add on to existing plumbing. at the tie in, I install a co tee.
then shove a blow up ball inside the tee to test the new plumbing.

you will have 3 plumbing inspections

1st, is the rough plumbing before concrete is poured
2nd is a top out inspection, before walls are closed up
3rd, is a final, after all fixtures are set and working

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I still need a little help. Regarding filling the system with water; I have 5 bathrooms and one of them is in the over garage bonus other than that the rest of the system is on the main floor. Currently I have all my vent runs from the San-tees up through the walls and still open above the ceilings. The same for the main stack. I have not exited the roof with any venting yet. So for clarification-to leak check the entire system do I need to go into the attic and fill the entire vent system or is this neccessary? I really appreciate your help and advice. Incidentally I used all 2" venting, and a 3" stack and the main trunk line in the crawl space is 4". Hope that is not too much over build?
Jim in Franklin, TN

You want to test it with 10 feet of head pressure.., install a weenie on a wye

0028370_cherne-industries-270040-4-pneumatic-test-ball-plug.jpeg

13134718_1.jpg

install a test tee the lowest point of the 4'' main

put the ball in the tee.

fill ALL the pvc pipe up, with water
the code says ALL the plumbing is inspected,,,vents also

run the vents out the roof, drag a hose on the roof and fill it up

Latest posts

Back