Test Tee vs Wye with Cleanout adapter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkremix

Reaction score
Hello all,

Quick question regarding the use of a test tee as a cleanout. At the base of my drain stack where it connects to the sewer line to the outside, I have installed a test tee in the vertical portion of the stack right above my long sweep 90 that goes to the sewer. That test tee's intent is to be used as a cleanout. Is it ok to use a test tee as a clean out or should I replace it with a 4x4x4 wye and place a clean out plug/adapter?

thank you.

I personally like the test tee so you can put a test ball when you test the system. If you have a clean out in a wall you cannot put the wye because there is not room for the wye. I do not belive there is a code issue to use the wye instead of the tee.

I personally like the test tee so you can put a test ball when you test the system. If you have a clean out in a wall you cannot put the wye because there is not room for the wye. I do not belive there is a code issue to use the wye instead of the tee.

Thank you for the response, appreciate it.

test tee, not a san tee,

there is a difference

44a5d4c9-ee59-4311-8e7a-72773e13c0ac_400.jpg

4%20inch%20pvc%20clean%20out.jpg

Last edited:
When I inspect, and we (contractor and I) complete the pressure test (passes), the contractor will pull his test and install the approved cap. That test tee can be used as a cleanout in the event of blockage. I was an Inspector in Cleveland and in San Diego (residential and commercial plumbing & mechanical) and there's nothing illegal about removing a cap to clear a drain or sewer. Because the test can be difficult to use sometimes because of the tight 90 degree angle but it is available. The test tee can also be used in the future to test in the event of a drainage system add on (future use).
Then again I'm considered one of the "nice inspectors". That's my view and how I inspect. If your gonna get this inspected then shoot the plumbing inspector a phone call. A call takes 5 minutes and saves time / money.

Back