Temperature calibrate shower fixture

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a shower control consisting of two knobs;one for the water, the other for the temperature. It seems to be out of kilter temperature-wise. This happened once before, had a plumber in and he fixed it, but I wasn't able to talk to him to get educated on exactly what he did. I have attached a picture of the fixture in question. Wondering if anyone can identify it and give me advice. I can't even figure out how to get the faceplate off once I unscrew it since the handle is wider than the opening on the faceplate and I don't want to force anything. Help?

IMG00155-20110111-2007.jpg

What exactly do you mean by "out of kilter" ? Too hot or cold? Temperature fluctuating? Knob in the wrong position?

As for taking it off, I am unfamiliar with that model but it looks like the cap of the handle pops off, which should expose a screw. There probably won;t be a need to remove the faceplate though, once we get a bit more info on the problem.

Too cold. On the max setting it should be scalding hot, it is only moderate. The knob does work, if I turn the temp down it gets colder, but the temp is much lower than what it says on the knob. I know I have hot water, the sink is hot, other shower is hot. Last time this happened the plumber recalibrated the temp control.

Thanks

Well, i am unfamiliar with your shower model, but this can usually be fixed easily, as it sounds like your temperature limiter has slipped towards the cold side.

We would need to see under the handle or know the brand of shower in order to know exactly how your limiter works.

I have attached 3 views (silly me, i just kept turning to the left and was able to remove the cap and therefore the plate). It has no manufacturer markings. Thoughts on how I could recalibrate this thing? Thanks

view1.jpg

view2.jpg

view3.jpg

slowdrip

Do the pictures help at all? My assumption is that I fiddle with one or both of the "knobs" on either side of the fixture in the picture, but not sure how.

Thanks

I have literally no idea what brand of faucet that is. Without being there physically I am loathe to give you directions on how to further take it apart because I don't want you to break anything. most temperature limiters I am familiar with would be "above" the cartridge, behind the grey cap.

Yo be honest I was hoping one of the other guys could identify this thing, it is possible that it is a brand or style not sold up here in Canada.

Thanks. I appreciate the honesty. I'll probably wind up calling a plumber in and watching him this time. If I get an answer I'll post to this thread.

I'm guessing, but I think the outer thingies are probably built in integral stop valves.
They are held in with ring clips. Do they screw in and out or spin.
The next ones maybe strainers and could be blocked with ?.
Turn the water off to bldg. don't trust the stops if that what they are.
Use a socket wrench and take off one of the hex headed caps. That's where I would start.
These temperature control cylinders usually have a screen on the cylinder and can easily get jacked up with mineral deposits from hard water.
I put one similar to this about a year ago but the customer picked it up and I can't remember it's brand name.

The chrome ring just after the handle , in front of the temp # may come off with a strap wrench

Last edited:
Mr David

That was it! Thanks much for the answer. Simply unscrewed the hex nuts and removed the gunk as described! The hot was gunked as expected. We have a water softener but about a month ago discovered it had gotten unplugged. Didn't take long for crap to build up. Hopefully we can keep it plugged in going forward. Thanks a million!

Latest posts

Back