Tapping Hot Water Line for Humidifier - Will Hot Water Heater Drain?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris87

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install a whole house humidifier. I was planning to tap the hot water line close to where it exits the hot water heater. I was going to use a Sharkbite Service Slip Tee. If I turn off the main supply, and drain the faucets, will I be able to do this safely? Should I also turn off the valve for the inlet line of the water heater? I have this fear of the water heater draining when I cut the line. I appreciate any input, and I apologize in advance for what is probably a stupid question.

IMG_0234.jpg

Is the water heater the highest point it looks like it is feeding down. It will not drain out but you can shut the cold feed to the heater so that isn't pushing against you. You could shut everything down and drain a little off the bottom of the heater to help when you make the cut

Is the water heater the highest point it looks like it is feeding down. It will not drain out but you can shut the cold feed to the heater so that isn't pushing against you. You could shut everything down and drain a little off the bottom of the heater to help when you make the cut

Thanks for your help. It's a 2nd floor condo, so I assume that the pipes are going into the floor/joist space. When I cut the pipe, will there be a lot of hot water emptying? I have a 5 gallon bucket, so I wasn't sure if that would be sufficient. Out of curiosity, if you were doing the job, would you lower the water heater first?

I would shut the cold main off then the cold valve at the heater. Then open a few hot/cold faucets below and try to get the most out I could. Do not open the T&P to let air in. I would also cut into that horizontal piece of 3/4" on the hot. That should be all the water you will get whatever is in that piece.

I would shut the cold main off then the cold valve at the heater. Then open a few hot/cold faucets below and try to get the most out I could. Do not open the T&P to let air in. I would also cut into that horizontal piece of 3/4" on the hot. That should be all the water you will get whatever is in that piece.

That's exactly what I'll do. Thank you! Stupid question, but I was thinking that it was 1/2" copper. Is that 3/4" coming out of the water heater? It looks like Sharkbite doesn't make a 3/4" service slip tee, but they have this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-1-2-in-Brass-Push-to-Connect-Slip-Tee-U3362LFA/202270604

Is there an easy way to connect a Sharkbite stop valve to this?

Chris, you can buy a regular 3/4" sharkbite tee. It doesn't have to be the one your looking at. They do make 3/4" sharkbite valves also. Make sure you read the directions on the package so you get them pushed on all the way. Don't forget you have to get down to 1/4" tubing for the humidifier. Here's two pictures that you can look at. The one is a sharkbite and the other is compression. They both have the valve and the 1/4". You have to get it in 3/4" on either one. Hope this helps.

shopping 1.jpg

shopping 2.jpg

Chris, you can buy a regular 3/4" sharkbite tee. It doesn't have to be the one your looking at. They do make 3/4" sharkbite valves also. Make sure you read the directions on the package so you get them pushed on all the way. Don't forget you have to get down to 1/4" tubing for the humidifier. Here's two pictures that you can look at. The one is a sharkbite and the other is compression. They both have the valve and the 1/4". You have to get it in 3/4" on either one. Hope this helps.

Thanks. That 3/4" x 1/4" Sharkbite tee looks like it would work perfectly. My question is will be able to install it without issue? I know that I will need to pull the pipes apart a bit to fit this tee. Do they normally have a bit of flex to them, so that you can separate the cut pipes without causing damage to the other fittings? I was drawn to the service tee, because I saw the video showing how you can slide it forward, line up the pipes, and then back it into place.

You have room. Cut it on the horizontal piece of the hot side. Put the tee on the piece closest to the water heater first. To keep things straight you will need to cut a small piece out of the pipe the length of where the handle is on the new valve. Then put the other side on. It has some movement, but just take your time and move it easy and you'll be alright. Drain it down like you were told also. Take a picture when your done and do a little bragging. Show it to us. LOL.. If you have any more questions there are many smart guys on here to help you.

Latest posts

Back