Tankless Water Heater Newbie Seeking Advice

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HannahJay1

Reaction score
My family is looking for new ways to save a bit of money and to be a little more earth friendly. It occurred to me that we're spending money and using energy keeping water hot even when we don't need it immediately. I've done a bit of shopping around and stumbled upon this tankless water heater, that is in the price range we're looking to spend.

Can anyone tell me what features I should be looking for, what's a good price range, and if this one cuts the mustard? TIA!

Well its a good question, what you have here is an instantaneous hot water unit, they are popular all around the world.

What this boils down to (sorry) is the efficiency of both kinds of unit, how much hot water they supply per unit/kw etc of fuel or power used.

Just because it fails to have a tank doesn't mean its more efficient, think as well how much your electricity prices are compared to your gas prices. if your existing tank system is electricity heated via an element then its very simple to compare.

Also how do you use hotwater? if your in the house all day washing dishes, having showers etc at all times then a tank system will be far more effective. If you are hardly at home and only have a shower at night then the one you have is a good method to heat your water

I do love the tankless heater options. I install Rinnai for any gas tankless jobs and they do a great job. For electric versions, I have priced out and prepared quotes using the Rheem brand. One reason I went with Rheem is because they are a very established company that has been making water heaters for many, many years and so far they are the only big name brand that makes the electric tankless heaters. The problem I found with electric tankless though is the minimum amp requirement. Around here, typically there is a 30amp breaker ran for the existing electric storage type tank heaters and installing a viable electric tankless would require installing a new breaker and electrical run, if its possible, depending on what the max amp at the panel is.

I am still looking into this for my own home. :D

if you are planning on installing a natural gas unit there are many things to consider and you should have a licenced plumber come out who can perform a gas load calculation and test the water. cost can go up quickly if you have to bring in a bigger gas line from the meter and or install a water softener/iron removal system. if the proper steps aren't taken when installing your new tank-less it may only last 5 years.

Can anyone tell me what features I should be looking for, what's a good price range, and if this one cuts the mustard? TIA!

I have the same question. the local plumber recommend me noritz Tankless Water Heater, and recommend the gas one since gas is relatively cheaper. Anyone had used noritz? any comments?

thanks

Noritz is a good brand, i have installed both rinnai and noritz. i would go for the condensation models.

I have the same question. the local plumber recommend me noritz Tankless Water Heater, and recommend the gas one since gas is relatively cheaper. Anyone had used noritz? any comments?

thanks

I'm considering the noritz too, because there is a rebate for my city, about $500-600. I'd like to know more about it from who actually used this brand.

Since I'm a newbie as well with the same question there is no need for me to start a new thread... so.... Full size colonial home 4bed 2.5ba with natural gas tank water heater currently that is original to the house (2001). Before it goes out in case it does I want to weigh options and would rather purchase and replace before something dies. Knowing what you know currently on natural gas tankless water heaters would you just automatically replace with one of these rather than the the old tank water heaters? We generally dont have multiple showers and laundry and dishes going at once, but occasionally there is more than one shower going as well as a cleaning task... ie laundry. Just seeing if tankless is something worth considering... if it is then I'll have to look at the cost differences and then see if there are tax rebates etc that make it affordable. We live in Virginia also

Since your old water heater is about 10 years old, it is good that you are considering a replacement. TWH's are not for everyone, but I couldn't be happier with my decision to go tankless. If you ask what my biggest concern is by going tankless if the fact that I no longer have a 50 gallon reserve of water in the event of an earthquake.

when you say tankless isnt for everyone is that because of the cost or because of learning curve involved with on demand hot water. Here's my quandry... I personally would rather go with a TWH and do my research early and purchase myself rather than be forced to purchase from the back of a plumbers truck. i know everyone goes with the top of the line models but we cant all afford the porsche ya know. What is a good manufacturer to read up on. I currently have a 50 gallon tank with an expansion tank on top for some reason.

To begin with, I myself am not a licensed plumber. I do have quite a bit of home building and home maintenance experience, but am fully aware of my limitations. Using my Harley as an example, I have no problem changing the oil myself, but if my gearbox needed to be worked on, I would pay the money to have it repaired correctly. The same should be considered with a TWH installation.

Most consumers will go out and by cheapest model TWH, which is not matched to their system and/or needs. The installation also must be done correctly or it could possibly cause you or your family serious harm and/or death.

I appreciate you doing your own homework, because you will learn what is needed rather that being forced to take whatever the plumber has on his truck. But with this being said, most plumbers will work with you to ensure whichever TWH you decide on purchasing will be installed correctly.

I myself purchased the Navien, and could not be happier. Since my controller is in another room, there was quite a bit of confusion on the proper wiring, which caused my licensed plumber quite a few headaches. He in turn called the TWH company who sent out a rep. and walked him thru the installation process and correctly set up the wiring sequence. As an end user myself, I appreciate what this plumber did, and in turn taught the plumber the correct procedure on installing this TWH, so it was a win/win for all. ;)

The good and the bad.
The good- you will have a never ending supply of hot water at a cost savings.
The bad- they a costly as compared to a tank type. Not just the cost of the unit but also the cost of insulation. If you are replacing a tank type with a tankless the gas line you have for the tank type will be to small and if your venting it through the roof the chimney pipe will also be to small. (there are some units that can be vented through the side wall eliminating the need for chimney) There have also been some problems with the less expensive units not having enough flow rate to fire the units with the new energy saving dish and clothes washers.
The unit that havasu installed has a small tank that can very well solve the flow rate problems, along with some others that he made me aware of. (being able to have a recirculating line) I have no experience with his system. He would be better informed on it then me.

John

Just to add, my old tanked water heater was 13 years old, and due to be replaced. Since the old tank was adjacent to my inner garage door, it also hindered my plans for my garage make over. The Navien TWH cost ~ $1500, but qualified for a 30% federal tax rebate, making the cost ~ $1200. With the savings of gas and water over the last 15 months, and adding in the replacement cost for a tanked unit, it has already paid for itself, and couldn't be happier.

Back