Tankless Water Heater - Is this normal?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cagmkt

Reaction score
Just had a tankless water heater installed. Seems like it could be a little cleaner and tidy than this! Such a mess and not too appealing to look at it.

I'm not a plumber, but wanted a professional's take on it? Am I being too anal about it?

Thanks for the feedback in advance.
C

wh1.jpgwh2.jpg

I know around here, using galvanized instead of Black Pipe is a no-no. Besides that, the flex line (yellow) seems too long, which adds to the sloppy look.

Havasu, UPC requires galvanized pipe outdoors.
Drip leg is required on all equipment.
The installer used crappy non-full port ball valves from the look of it.
Check mfr’s Clearance listing to openable window, Probably is OK

I guess I stand corrected. When I built my house in the 1990's, my local inspector ordered me to remove all galvanized pipe and replace it with black pipe saying galvanized pipe will flake off, blocking the orifices on the appliances. I just did a Google search and saw two contradictory posts. Why? I don't know.

From the 2009 IFGC(S) (Internation Fuel Gas Code Standard) Section 403 Piping Materials does NOT restrict the use of galvanized (zinc coated) steel pipe.Oct 28, 2009

Can natural gas be run in galvanized pipe?

You do not want to use galvanized pipe for gas because of the galvanized coating. Over time pieces of the galvanized steel will flake off and clog your gas regulators and burner units. Never mix galvanized and black iron or where they touch corrosion will be accelerated.Nov 25, 2020

You must have some high pressure gas if they are regulating before the tankless. Most peeps in my area have to get a meter upgrade for lack of volume. I myself would have mounted on strut and had the strut mounted to the house. I am not sure if it would have looked any better but I would have had isolators between the unit and the strut I also do not like gas appliance connectors, I understand some in seismic areas need them. I am in a cold zone so we do not do outside installs.

I guess I stand corrected. When I built my house in the 1990's, my local inspector ordered me to remove all galvanized pipe and replace it with black pipe saying galvanized pipe will flake off, blocking the orifices on the appliances. I just did a Google search and saw two contradictory posts. Why? I don't know.

From the 2009 IFGC(S) (Internation Fuel Gas Code Standard) Section 403 Piping Materials does NOT restrict the use of galvanized (zinc coated) steel pipe.Oct 28, 2009

Can natural gas be run in galvanized pipe?

You do not want to use galvanized pipe for gas because of the galvanized coating. Over time pieces of the galvanized steel will flake off and clog your gas regulators and burner units. Never mix galvanized and black iron or where they touch corrosion will be accelerated.Nov 25, 2020

Natural gas is a lot cleaner than it use to be. There’s not near the moisture in the higher pressure systems as it use to be with lower pressures.

Some places have “ wet “ gas and others have “ dry “ gas. All natural gas isn’t the same. It even has different energy values.

The higher the methane content the drier the gas will be

Latest posts

Back