Tankless hot water heater help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So we had tankless hot water heater installed. The guys did a pretty poor job. Leaking connections, condensation line went up and wouldn't drain, and the pipes weren't even attempted to be pushed over. It's in our bathroom because we have a very small home. The exhaust vent goes right outside less than 1 foot cool looks good. The air inlet though goes across the entire bathroom not even against a wall so I can't put my washer and dryer close to the wall. And ends up getting bad condensation on it which has caused issues. The space above the tank in the ceiling is 4" but before it reaches the main attic part it goes down to maybe 2" so they couldn't get a 3" pipe in. My question is could I run like 2 1.5" or 2 2" pipes and couple them before the tank? I'm not sure if it would give enough air flow to the tank or not. Don't really care about possible code violations as much as what would actually work. I also thought about putting the pipe into the 4" space in the attic and leaving it like that and letting it just suck air from the void space above the bathroom and the main attic? I know this is a long post but I'm trying to finish some home projects and this is a huge one for the wife and I'm stumped on what I can do that won't kill the tank.

I’d leave it like it is and insulate the pipe that’s getting condensation.

Or relocate the heater out of the bathroom.

I’d leave it like it is and insulate the pipe that’s getting condensation.

Or relocate the heater out of the bathroom.
I wish I could move it somewhere else lol, 500sqft home with nowhere else to put it. Can try to insulate it, anyone got tips for insulating a 3" pipe?

We could figure out how you can change the intake air pipes to split if you gave the mfr and model of what you have. Perhaps pics as well.
Broadly speaking, if intake air must not have any condensate traps and determine the area/pipe as per mfr, and use equivalent AREA.
for those who didn't learn area calcs:
4" = 12.56
3" = 7.056
2" = 3.14
1-1/2" = 1.75"
NOTE: see how two 2" areas will not equal the 3"

Last edited:
Yes sorry forgot to include such info manufacturer is AOsmith. I attached the full spec sheet from the side of it and an image of the pipesPXL_20220131_014120204.jpgPXL_20220131_014326641.jpgPXL_20220131_014332208.jpg

I might have to get that myself, I live around buffalo ny, I've been told that the inlet pipe needs to be inside for 5ft because it will help with the cold air in winter. Any clue if that's true?

I might have to get that myself, I live around buffalo ny, I've been told that the inlet pipe needs to be inside for 5ft because it will help with the cold air in winter. Any clue if that's true?
No idea, I live down south, we rarely have cold weather for very long. I’ve never checked into it. Sounds reasonable .......

Those are Takagi with an AO Smith name plate.
Perhaps just jogging over to the wall and then back at the penetration.

The pictures don’t show what your issues are so, Made an assumption that moving the pipe closer to the wall using a couple of bends Would give you some inches

The pictures don’t show what your issues are so, Made an assumption that moving the pipe closer to the wall using a couple of bends Would give you some inches
Ah I understand now. Ya doing that would allow me to at least push my washer/dryer as far back as it can go. But would still have a condensation issue and an ugly pipe going across the room lol. I'm going to get me one of the pipes that can house the exhaust and intake. That should do what I want hopefully

Is the room too small to pull make up air from? If not I would just use a 90 out the top of the intake.

I do not get why so many people think thankless is the way to go.
1) a tank is much cheaper than a tankless.
2) if you have lets say a 60 gallon hot water tank you can do dishes, wash clothes in the clothes washer, take a shower, all at the same time. in tankless it would cut back on the volume .

I do not get why so many people think thankless is the way to go.
1) a tank is much cheaper than a tankless.
2) if you have lets say a 60 gallon hot water tank you can do dishes, wash clothes in the clothes washer, take a shower, all at the same time. in tankless it would cut back on the volume .
For us it's the space saving aspect. I don't have anywhere to put a tank.

Latest posts

Back