Tankless hot water heater flush

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug2123

Reaction score
I just bought my house earlier this year, and it was built around April 2020. Anyway, not sure if the natural gas tankless water heater was ever flushed. Is it too late to try and flush it if it was never flushed?

You can clean it if you’d like. Follow your model numbers directions.

Just wasn't sure if I would possibly have a leak if it wasn't cleaned before.
There's always the possibility, but at that age unless your water is very aggressive and untreated the likelihood of a leak is very low.

There's always the possibility, but at that age unless your water is very aggressive and untreated the likelihood of a leak is very low.
Not sure if the water is aggressive. How would I find out? If I flush it, and it does leak is their something I can do besides having the water heater replaced?

Post the name and model number of the unit and I can tell you more.

If the units a few years old it’s due for a cleaning. If it leaks then it was about to pop anyway.

Should still be under parts warranty. If there is a leaks parts can be replaced. Labor charges will most likely be incurred.
Most manufacturers have 1 years labor, 5 years parts, and 10-15 years heat exchanger warranty.

Post the name and model number of the unit and I can tell you more.

If the units a few years old it’s due for a cleaning. If it leaks then it was about to pop anyway.
Rheem model RTG-84XLN-1
Serial # W082001390

Should still be under parts warranty. If there is a leaks parts can be replaced. Labor charges will most likely be incurred.
Most manufacturers have 1 years labor, 5 years parts, and 10-15 years heat exchanger warranty.
I'm assuming the 5 years for parts is if it was properly maintained, and I am not sure if it was, but this is good to know.

Ok, so if a leak does occur, and i have to get somebody out is that expensive? I know it depends on what is leaking. I just want to be prepared for how expensive this could be vs leaving it alone ubtil i get a new water heater when this one eventually stops working.

Cleaning a tankless heater is the equivalent to replacing the oil in your car. It’s routine maintenance.

It’s up to you if you want to perform maintenance or not.

Call around to 3 licensed plumbers in your area to get estimates for repairs. I have no idea what a plumber costs in your area and even if I did I wouldn’t be able to tell you what it would cost to repair it. It appears the water heater still has a parts warranty.

Good luck to you.

Cleaning a tankless heater is the equivalent to replacing the oil in your car. It’s routine maintenance.

It’s up to you if you want to perform maintenance or not.

Call around to 3 licensed plumbers in your area to get estimates for repairs. I have no idea what a plumber costs in your area and even if I did I wouldn’t be able to tell you what it would cost to repair it. It appears the water heater still has a parts warranty.

Good luck to you.
I went over all the risks with the wife, and ordered the pump, and hoses. Going to do it myself. Just need 3 gallons of vinegar. I have a 5 gallon bucket.

What is the most common leak after a flush?

According to google the area I live in the water is 10-20 ppm. Not sure what that means, but I know its not hard water.

Last edited:
Flushed it yesterday, and no problems so far. Vinegar was bluish like the videos i've seen.

Back