Tankless help!!!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleeders1959

Reaction score
Help! I have an 8 unit (one bedroom and one bath per unit) apartment bldg with one meter and eight gas water heaters. Can I replace them with one high capacity tankless unit?

The situation you describe would need someone who really knows what they are doing to make a tankless setup work well. You are looking at probably at least two units, with a storage tank and a recirculating pump to keep the water in the tank hot.

The situation you describe would need someone who really knows what they are doing to make a tankless setup work well. You are looking at probably at least two units, with a storage tank and a recirculating pump to keep the water in the tank hot.

no way. 8 apartments, split into 2 units.

nah...alll that would take is for apartment #1 to take a shower the same time
as #2 and #3.. and you willl have screaming tenants.
that will demand to be set up in a holiday inn till you get it fixed

those tankless heaters will not recover fast enough for multiple apartments

just my opinion,:p take it and try and buy a cup of coffee

you need a storage tank. that right there defeats the whole purpose of a tankless

250 gallon commercial w/h with 250 gallon storage and cir lines to each unit

Last edited:
Like I said, it would need someone who really knows what they are doing. Noritz has a commercial unit that burns 380k btu's, if the incoming and outgoing temps were within range, two of those might do it. Definitely not something to be designed over the internet.

It can be done with tankless but like everything else you have to weigh the pros and cons. We use Rheem and they make a 9.5 which gives you 9 gallons per minute. With 8 units you are looking at about 4 tankless w/h's. Rheem makes a cable that links the w/h's together so they work properly you can also use a recirculating pump that is designed for tankless w/h's. If you use the wrong kind the w/h's will constantly run. The issues are if you only have electric it's cost a fortune to have an electrician come in and redo a breaker box to accommodate the tankless. Also with the gas tankless it gets costly to install because you need to increase gas lines due to the demand of the w/h's.

Help! I have an 8 unit (one bedroom and one bath per unit) apartment bldg with one meter and eight gas water heaters. Can I replace them with one high capacity tankless unit?

Many companies, like A.O. Smith, Navien, etc allow for cascading units. If you have 8 units and all 8 are taking showers at the same time (not a far fetched thought) then you would need to have the capacity of handling those 8 showers at the same time and additional capacity if someone is washing dishes or using a sink in any other fashion.

I personally would sell you on a cascading Navien with probably three NPE-A 240's. Three should be sufficient to handle your load.

Back