Tank to Bowl Gasket

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickhoff

Reaction score
It seems that I have a leak at the Tank to Bowl Gasket (which is an orange/red color) as the color of the leaked water is that same color.

This is my 3rd and final toilet rebuild and other two are good. I used the exact same rebuild kits (Fluidmaster) on all toilets.

Is the Tank to Bowl Gasket supposed to be a spongy material that holds water, literally like a a sponge ?

Is it possible I am over tightening the wing nuts that secure the tank to the bowl ??

RH

Yes, the tank to bowl gasket is usually a very soft "spongelike" material. Some of the Kohler toilets that I have installed I have thought from looking at them that overtightening the tank to bowl bolts might be a problem, though I have never had one of them leak. But for the most part, no, the tank or bowl should crack before you can overtighten to the point of a leak.

It could be the tank bolts leaking and not the gasket.
I have seen a co-worker install them incorrectly when I had to do a call back on him. the bolt has a neoprene washer that goes between the head of the bolt and the tank. This co-worker thought the extra brass washers that came with it were supposed to go between neoprene washer and the head.:eek: Brass washer to brass head of bolt does not make a water tight seal. not always but sometimes you can put nuts on bolts to bottom of tank before you set the tank on the bowl. But only if the nuts don't touch the bowl flange

Thanks for the replies .... Im leaning towards the bolts as well, ... yes all the toilets were the same TOTOs, and no I did not put the extra washers inside the tank. My thought is that the tank bolt seal failed and water came into contact with the tank to bowl (reddish) gasket from the it's outside versus leaking through or around it !! ??

Back