tamper proofing hw heater thermostat

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbxrider

Reaction score
spent some time now looking for something like the wall thermostat enclosures to lock out tampering for my hw heater thermostat. is there such a thing or something close enuf that I can modify and make it work?

water.heater.thermostat.jpg

Grab the knob and pull with a little wiggle. Black dial pops off. Set it on top behind flue. Other than that. Lock the door going to room

hey, good idea remove the freakin knob, they would probably not be able to figure that out!! can't lock it out, its in the garage. will take a good look with knob off, maybe can tap in a torx security bolt right through the knob without creating a dangerous socal methane leak!

Sounds sarcastic I hope. Don't insert any screw into gas valve. its the only way I have found to keep kids from turning it.

I would try using a hose clamp around the valve and knob before attempting to remove it.

It pops off like a stove knob. Read the instruction booklet. The stem has a stop built into valve. It is very hard to turn without knob. It only fits on one way. The knob is strictly to apply leverage to small brass stem. But like I said open the book or call the manufacture before you say I am foolish. The new water heaters are tamper resistant. Any thing shiny or twisty looking will attract a child. As for an adult turning knob? Ask them nicely not too.

Latest posts

Back