Taco circulator replaced but,....now

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie2727

Reaction score
I have a 4 story apartment building. One apt per floor. The previous owner installed a loop that keeps the hot water hot on demand essentially. The circulator powering this loop up four floors is located right off the hot water tank in the basement. I don't know if it is pushing or pulling the hot water thru the loop.

The circulator cartridge on this circulator went....I replaced it (Taco) and now it is not pumping (or pulling ) the hot water thru the loop.

Any ideas as to what can be happening here? I checked the cartridge a couple of times and it is installed correctly.

J.

You have air in the loop. There should be a valve on the loop near the tank with a hose fitting next to it. Turn the valve off and connect a hose to the other fitting. Let the hose run until the air is removed.

John

Well for the direction, circ pumps usually have a direction of flow on them. As to what may be wrong its kinda hard to say without physically being there. Just make sure you did the common things like make sure the breaker isn't tripped and everything else seems ok. Someone else may chime in with a better answer as to what else you can check

John, That may make sense. When i purchased the building, there was a hose connected to a valve. I took it off and used it somewhere else. I will replace it and drain the water.

John. Here are 2 pics showing what I think you are talking about. Can you confirm this?

circ 1.jpg

circ 2.jpg

Jamie I can't see the direction of the check valve or where the re-circ line is connected to the heater. From what I can see the drain is on the wrong side of the valve. But if the arrow on the check valve is pointing towards the circulator it will work by turning on the drain without turning off the ball valve. Try opening the drain valve fully and let it run for 3-4 min.

John

Back