Symmons valves?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sym

Reaction score
Is there a plumber knowledgeable in Symmons valves? My water pressure spindle started leaking, I replaced it, and got drop in water pressure. Bought a new one, replaced it too, now have no water at all.

Their customer service is useless, not speaking that they don't pick up the phone and call at their convenience right before my business call. Now looks like I have to replace the whole valve, and never touch anything called Symmons again, and tell everyone not to do so, as you will be stuck with this pricey mess.

You’re like the 3rd person to post in the past couple months with this same problem.

we don’t have an answer

I’ve never used their products.

Reactions: Sym
Sad. I can't find anybody posting on this problem, looks like I am the first one to encounter it. Sorry to annoy you.

There have been problems with Symmons that no one seems to have a resolution for.

You’re not getting any water but others have not been able to get hot water once they’ve rebuilt the valve or replaced the spindle.

If you can’t get the manufacturer to answer their phone and you’re sure you have the correct parts assembled correctly........then I’d replace it with a Delta.

I'm familiar with symmons we have hundreds on campus they are bullet proof and i have never had problems with cust. Service

Seems to be a problem with the new parts in older valves lately.

Do you have integral stops in the valve, if you have low or no flow pull the stem turn the water on to the shower and see if you have flow i ran into this a long time the line was full of sediment i had to tap on the hot and cold lines and slugs of dirt came out.sometimes the barrel inside the stem gets stuck,or calcified usually just giving it a good tap frees it up is your valve a temptrol or a visitemp
Temptrol has a round face plate visit temp is rectangularish

The leak was from the pressure regulating spindle (small handle under the main one, TA-25B Temptrol Volume Control, black spindle). Pressure at the lines in the house is fine at both cold and hot lines. I have tried to remove the spindle, the water gush forth - no sludge, everything works fine.

Seems to be a problem with the new parts in older valves lately.

My Temptrol Valve itself is NOT really old, had it installed like 5 y. ago.

TA-10 spindle - one that controls water temperature and open/close position works fine (was fine just before the repair). BTW, lukewarm water - means TA-10 spindle is calcified, and has to be cleaned or replaced.

If you can’t get the manufacturer to answer their phone and you’re sure you have the correct parts assembled correctly........then I’d replace it with a Delta.
This is like $1000 endevour, not speaking about the mess with opening the wall. I am pissed. Wish Symmons to drop dead. I replaced perfectly working Kohler just 5 y. ago to have water flow control. If I knew this happens - I would never even pass by this bloody valve.

Whoever is reading this thread - DO NOT EVER buy anything from Symmons!!!

I'm familiar with symmons we have hundreds on campus they are bullet proof and i have never had problems with cust. Service

May be you just have good luck. 5 years of ownership of one valve - had to replace TA-10 twice. OK, could be due to hard water. But the fact that after TA-25B replacement everything just shut down, and having Customer Service that can't help you - like having no Customer Service at all - is sign of the company going down the drain. All these good referrals have to stop, Symmons valves is just one big expensive headache.

Last edited:
Do you have integral stops in the valve, if you have low or no flow pull the stem turn the water on to the shower and see if you have flow i ran into this a long time the line was full of sediment i had to tap on the hot and cold lines and slugs of dirt came out.sometimes the barrel inside the stem gets stuck,or calcified usually just giving it a good tap frees it up is your valve a temptrol or a visitemp
Temptrol has a round face plate visit temp is rectangularish

No integral stops, no sediment, and no problem with the main TA-10 spindle.

Last edited:
The leak was from the pressure regulating spindle (small handle under the main one, TA-25B Temptrol Volume Control, black spindle). Pressure at the lines in the house is fine at both cold and hot lines. I have tried to remove the spindle, the water gush forth - no sludge, everything works fine.

TA-10 spindle - one that controls water temperature and open/close position works fine (was fine just before the repair). BTW, lukewarm water - means TA-10 spindle is calcified, and has to be cleaned or replaced.

This is like $1000 endevour, not speaking about the mess with opening the wall. I am pissed. Wish Symmons to drop dead. I replaced perfectly working Kohler just 5 y. ago to have water flow control. If I knew this happens - I would never even pass by this bloody valve.

May be you just have good luck. 5 years of ownership of one valve - had to replace TA-10 twice. OK, could be due to hard water. But the fact that after TA-25B replacement everything just shut down, and having Customer Service that can't help you - like having no Customer Service at all - is sign of the company going down the drain. All these good referrals have to stop, Symmons valves is just one big expensive headache.
Older doesn’t necessarily mean old. You’re installing new parts in a 5 yr old valve.

Other people have had issues with getting hot water after brand new parts were installed in their valves. You’re having trouble getting any water....

Call tech support and if they won’t answer, replace the faucet.

I don’t buy their products and never will. Too many other choices that work......

One of Symmons repair tips for a valve that’s giving all hot or all cold is.....

“ A good first step is to open the valve to the halfway position, remove the handle, and firmly tap end of spindle with a plastic or wooden hammer. “

Thats hilarious.......

I can’t help you with the cost issue.

I only offer plumbing solutions.

If you have had to replace all those parts within 5 years I would say that you most likely have water quality issues, or you have a lemon.

The black cartridge is just a volume control,the ,o-ring flattens out and causes that leak i use a wood screw or a triangular file to remove that cartridge, if the spindle is sticking you can tap it a couple of times to free up the barrel inside
Just for the hell of it I'll call symmons explain your situation and see how far i get

It just dawned on me you mentioned the black volume control cartridge, so it shower only, take your shower head off and see if you have flow, hopefully it's as simple as a clogged shower head

Do you have a tub or shower, the tub diverter is white and diverts the water from the spout
To the shower head, the black cartridge only does volume for shower

If you have had to replace all those parts within 5 years I would say that you most likely have water quality issues, or you have a lemon.

Water may be shitty, but I had no problem with Kohler and the same water. It's just a regular piece of junk.

I am so sorry I fell for good recommendations of Symmons.

Do you have a tub or shower, the tub diverter is white and diverts the water from the spout
To the shower head, the black cartridge only does volume for shower

I had black cartridge before, I installed the very same black cartridge in the place of the old one. Everything was working fine before the leak started.

Black cartridge controls water flow to both tub and for shower. The diverter valve with white cartridge goes after the main valve. I have a separate valve for diverting water from tub to shower. Now I have no water at all, neither at tub not the shower, as the main valve is not working.

Post some pictures of what you have. The whole shower/tub wall

I had black cartridge before, I installed the very same black cartridge in the place of the old one. Everything was working fine before the leak started.

Black cartridge controls water flow to both tub and for shower. The diverter valve with white cartridge goes after the main valve. I have a separate valve for diverting water from tub to shower. Now I have no water at all, neither at tub not the shower, as the main valve is not working.
The black cartridge is for shower only valves it only does volume, the white cartridge will switch from shower head to spout

Back