Supply pipe installed piercing THROUGH drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukewarm

Reaction score
IMG_20230714_141015.jpg
Plumber installed it about 5 years ago when I upgraded from 1/2" galvanized to 3/4" copper.
To my amazement I'm not seeing roots - or accumulated obstructions. Does that mean it's not a problem?
This is about 6 feet horizontally-speaking from the city shut-off in the sidewalk, directly down the front yard clear-out by the property line. He should have been aware of the presence of this drain.
A 25' apple tree is about 6' to the side of the top of the clear-out. Is it likely to eventually find the hole in this pipe? Presumably water/effluent splashes on the pipe and some of that water splashes out thru the hole made by the pipe, so if roots find that extra supply of water and nutrients, they'll enter and block the drain.
Could the pipe itself suffer from water/urine/poop falling on it every time one of the 6 residents uses water?
Can the pipe be moved? Can the drain be moved?
Would moving the pipe (adding a couple bends) reduce the water pressure? (I presume not.)
Should he pay to repair the established garden?

Probably underground boring did that. Did your plumber use underground boring equipment ?

I didn't observe it being done, but it was trenchless, so I presume that means he used boring equipment.

Since it's possible to bore to a target destination, it should be possible to avoid obstacles, right?

How can this be fixed?
(a) the pipe or drain relocated
(b) the holes sealed.

I know how pipe bursting and pipe relining work when you have access on two ends, but in this situation the front yard is about 8' higher than the sidewalk, and he won't be opening up the retaining wall, so he would only have access from the clear-out above. Can pipe relining work in a context like this? Blowing air to open the [tube] down the clear-out - but with a section cut out for where the horizontal/lateral drain enters this vertical drop?

Spray re-lining? (like spray paint from the end of a hose) I know it's not considered as good as real re-lining, but if there are no tree roots yet, maybe it would work.

Instead of relocating the pipe or drain, would it be good enough to have him install some kind of monitor? A permanent borescope that lets me easily see if there are roots penetrating? Relocating the pipe or drain would be much better. Is that possible?

Back