super blocked kitchen sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven455

Reaction score
Hi guys

We have a dual basin kitchen sink that's plugged. We called in a plumber a month ago who charged $150 to pour an industrial solution down that cleared the problem. He also gave us an enzyme based solution to help maintain the drain going forward, stating we should use a couple of caps once a month to help keep things moving. We're just at the month mark now and the drain has become clogged again. We've tried plunging, Drano Max Gel, Zep Crystal Heat, a full cup of the enzyme solution and nothing has fixed it. I've also tried running 25' snake down, but that did nothing.

I suspect part of the reason I'm unable to successfully plunge is due to the fact that the sink has a connector to the washing machine and a very elaborate water filtration system so I'm guessing a lot of the pressure I'm trying to drive down is escaping there.

I'm also guessing that some of the chemical solutions I've poured down may have killed the enzyme based product so will try to see if I can fully drain the line with a Shop-Vac drain hero and try the enzyme stuff again.

Short of shelling out another $150 for the pros to come back, is there anything else I can try?

I'm in Canada, so I suspect that may limit some of the commercially available cleaners.

Tks in advance

You have been ripped off, plain and simple. Real plumbers will not give you a bottle of Drano, they will clear your clog.

Reactions: SHR
Hi. Not sure I understand. He used a special drain cleaner not commercially available, not Drano. Is that accepted practice or should he have done something else?

Hi. Not sure I understand. He used a special drain cleaner not commercially available, not Drano. Is that accepted practice or should he have done something else?

Not a practice that is acceptable or tolerated by real plumbers. You were ripped off by someone pretending to be a plumber. Do not call this con person back for anything other than demanding your money back. NEVER, EVER USE DRAIN CLEANING CHEMICALS!!! They do not work and can seriously injure any real plumbers who work on actually clearing your clog. Call a real plumber to clear the clog and be sure to tell them the drain is full of corrosive dangerous chemicals.

Ya I have always been told to never use those chemicals to clear a clog because like Steven455 said it can corrode your pipe and you may end up having to replace part of your sewer line. I would most defentaly find a plumber you can trust which can be hard to do but there are good honest plumbers out there.

Back