Sump Runs > Utility Sink Gurgle - Vent? AAV?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawtooth

Reaction score
When my sump pump kicks on there is an initial gurgle coming from my utility sink. I assume that its air pressure venting back through drain. Do I have the venting wrong? (Utility sink is to the right - drain and p-trap)

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

Last edited:
you really want to know?

the fernco is wrong, it should be a banded st x pl coupling

the pipe is not supported

you used tee's instead of combination wye/1/8 bends

their is no clean out on the end of the line

the pump line, does not have a union/ ck valve or ball valve

and the 2'' line is fixture unit overloaded.

your job would be red tagged if inspected

Red_Tag_New.jpg

....adding to the already long list of infractions

Those two lines should never be tied together in the first place. A sump pump should discharge to the outside, not your sewer or septic.

Reactions: SHR
....adding to the already long list of infractions

Those two lines should never be tied together in the first place. A sump pump should discharge to the outside, not your sewer or septic.

I can understand the septic tank, but against regulations into the sewer?

Be gentle, on an acute learning curve here... ;)

ok. trust me i don't take it personally

obviously i don't know what i am doing. i lack the experience and knowledge. in a perfect world i would have the money to hire a professional but in this world i have to handle things myself (and i have a cheap wife)

in the short term what can i fix to improve the system without tearing everything out and starting from scratch??

unfortunately when its all said and done..that will probably be the final solution. however:

1. replace furco with banded

2. replace tees with wye's (all of them??)

3. replace 90's with sweeps (all?)

4. add check valve to sump line (does it matter where? vertically? horizontally?? as long as its going in the valve is going in the right direction??)

5. add support

discharging to the sump to the outside will take some additional time and planning (the easiest route dump the water right at the main entrance/side of the house)

please feel free to add to the list

sc-proflex-main.jpg

BasementBath.jpg

2015-12-21_1656.jpg

Okay, more two cents being added, so be warned. As long as you have that AAV installed for your laundry tray vent you will most likely continue to have a gurgle from the drain when the sump discharges. Replace the tees for the sump connection and the drain from upstairs connection with wyes (wye combination). This still may not solve the gurgling problem since the volume of water from the sump while discharging displaces too much air for the rest of the piping to accommodate and the AAV allows no air to be displaced, it only allows air in during flow from the laundry tray. When the sump kicks on the AAV seals shut.
Try what was suggested already, but if the gurgling continues and you start to smell sewer gas in your house you will need to add a vent to the outside or to another vent connection.
If you are not worried about code, putting a wye on the 45 degree sloped portion of the drain from upstairs would give you some relief from the back pressure of the sump if you piped your laundry tray vent to it. Check valve is to be installed vertically next to the pump before it goes horizontally. This may still not resolve the gurgling issue.
The right way and the best way is to have a proper vent.
Also, I'm curious if you have any other fixtures or floor drains in the basement that drain into the sump from piping under the floor.

paint1.jpg

Sump-Pump-584x1024.jpg

Last edited:
frodo. ok i understand. thank you very much.

caduceus. good information and ideas. thank you.

i appreciate the help and please post other ideas

i will say that i am not getting frustrated. i think its all very interesting. unfortunately ...as i said previously ...i lack the knowledge or skill set.

i managed to get the pipes together and they didn't leak...but obviously used the wrong connections etc.

i am learning.

hey man,,,,what you have will work, it aint right, if your tight on funds, let it slide till your a little ahead
and do it right.

you really do need clean outs.. so at midnight when its cold, the drain backs up.
you aint on know knees in water cutting one in. unowhatimsay'n

btw...a tee is used in the vertical position only
a wye is used in the horizontal

ok so for the turkey..do i use wyes or tees?? i am confused again :(

i understand about the clean outs..makes sense.

i am worried about the turkey clean out :(

Back