Sump Pump Issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBob9000

Reaction score
I have a house with a deep sump pit, the challenge is the deep pit and high output. When the sump runs, it syphons all the water right back in to the pit. (See attached drawing)

Key issues:
  • Trigger for pump is above the weeping tile inlet,
    • difficult to lower the base of the pit due to it's depth
  • Syphon created after cycle, backflow refills the pit
    • If I put in a check valve I run the risk of burst due to freezing (northern Canadian climate)

Attachments

• Sump Pit Design.png
    Sump Pit Design.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 6
Lower the outlet pipe lower than the pump if possible then drill a 1/8 hole about 6” above the top of your pump.

It seems this would siphon the other way, out of the outlet and the hole would break the siphon 6” above the pump so it doesn’t get air locked.

I may not be correct, let someone else chime in. I’m kinda busy right now 🤣

It will keep doing it until you put in a check valve. Is the pump outside, is that why you think it will freeze. I am in Michigan with sump and check and have no freeze issues

your sketch shows you pump the water just outside your house, and then you have a pipe bringing water back in to the sump pitt, ??? i do not get it. I would suggest pumping your water far away from the house

your sketch shows you pump the water just outside your house, and then you have a pipe bringing water back in to the sump pitt, ??? i do not get it. I would suggest pumping your water far away from the house
Yes, there is a 30ft hose bringing the discharge away from the house. In my end of the world, you're not allowed to pipe a sump into the sanitary sewer

Take a look at the HydroCheck HC6000 "Hi-Lo Sump Pump Controller". No floats to hang up and no mechanical switches to go bad. There are two sensors so you can set the on/off height where it works best for your situation and to reduce short cycling.

Latest posts

Back